It’s impeccable that someone as talented as Wes Anderson gets snubbed so often. The movie is completely original and has a star-studded cast to back it (Photo provided by @frenchdispatch via Instagram).

Here is everything to know about the 2022 Oscar nominations

The Oscars have been the main stage for films of different genres and variations to achieve acclamation for hundreds of years. Often, the public tends to voice its complaints or approval fairly loudly whenever the award show comes around and it’s no wonder why. The Oscars have been at the forefront of so many snubs and all around bad decision making when it comes to which films ultimately come out on top. With that said, here are the nominations that may cause you to scratch your head. 

Films that were snubbed:

The French Dispatch

It’s no secret The Oscars really don’t like Wes Anderson. This project was one of his most fun and cinematically appealing projects to date. Yet, The French Dispatch did not get a nomination at this year’s Oscars. It’s impeccable that someone as talented as Wes Anderson gets snubbed so often. The movie is completely original and has a star-studded cast to back it. 

C’mon C’mon

Even though this is by far not one of Joaquin Phoenix’s stronger performances, the story behind this film was lovable and unique. It’s unfortunate that the movie didn’t get the recognition it deserves because it’s truly a masterful showing of life in its rawest form. 

The Green Knight 

This was arguably one of Dev Patel’s finest performances on screen and it went completely unrecognized. Not to mention the movie is so accurately depicted that it’s almost like a fossil from the medieval age. This movie deserved so much of the acclaim it had and it needed to be crowned alongside the rest of these upper-budget films that got a nomination 

Diana

Kristen Stewart absolutely deserved her first ever Oscar nomination for her performance in this film; however, the film itself needs so many more nominations simply out of respect for the story of Princess Diana. It’s a heartbreaking tale and deserved to be a contender for movie of the year. The film itself is arguably the most notable of the year, along with the performances within it. 

Films that didn’t deserve it: 

Don’t Look Up

This film just didn’t hit the mark in so many ways. The performances within it were lackluster and the editing was patchy and didn’t make sense in many ways. The overall movie was diligent in its message but failed to seriously meet the mark in terms of the original perception when it was first being announced. 

West Side Story 

This movie was good, but not worthy of a best picture nomination. It’s a musical through and through and a remake of something that was loved for so long. The re-envisioning of the story was necessary, but the movie itself was not among the best of the year by far. 

Dune

Dune was majorly disappointing for many reasons. The acting within it was fairly good, but not overly emphasized as a major part of the movie, considering the phenomenal roster of actors that are in the movie. The overall acclaim was largely missed as no one performance stood out amongst the others or even against other films. Again the re-envisioning was impressive but the story itself or the acting were not enough to qualify it as one of the best of the year. 

King Richard

Will Smith, similarly to Kristen Stewart, deserved an Oscar for his role. However, unlike Diana this story wasn’t nearly interesting enough to detail the rise to fame of the Williams sisters. The story was not nearly as cinematically interesting as most other biopic films, and the overall acclaim was mainly centered around Will Smith’s incredible performance, which deserves to win him his very first Oscar. 

Nominations to be excited about:

The Power of the Dog (Cinematography)

The cinematography was done solely by the master class Ari Wegner. If she wins, she will become the first woman to ever win in this category in the history of the awards. It’s a sad fact but an exciting one nonetheless. She absolutely deserves to win, as this film does a wonderful job of characterizing not through action within the film, but by shaping audience perception through the lens of the camera. 

Kristen Stewart

In her first ever Oscar nomination, Stewart has a very strong case to win ”best actress in a leading role.” She deserves to win. Her performance fully encapsulates the painful tapestry of the life of the late Princess Diana in a way that no other could have. Audiences and critics alike questioned if Stewart could accurately depict the role in a favorable manner and she absolutely answered their questions with an astounding “Yes.” 

Andrew Garfield

Garfield took on the large task of showcasing the life of one of Broadway's most prestigious writers, Jonathan Larson. The story itself is a wonderful depiction of making it through even if you don’t believe in yourself. It’s a musical production written by Larson, but Garfield has an all out timeless performance in this film and makes audiences tear up. The “best actor” category is a stark competition this year, but don’t be surprised if you hear Andrew Garfield’s name called at the ceremony. 

Will Smith

Will Smith is set for just his third Oscar nomination and possibly his first win. His performance as Richard Williams, father of Serena and Venus, is one of his best performances. Not only does Smith accurately account for the personality of King Richard, but he also gives a few very heartfelt monologues that force the audience to tear up a little when watching this overall wonderful film. An incredibly emotional, yet profoundly accurate depiction of Richard Williams, this will put Smith in high contention for “best actor in a leading role.” 

@eifert.sean

se538920@ohio.edu