From the Editor’s Desk: If you love a Postie, we thank you this Valentine’s Day

It isn’t always easy to love a Postie.

We spend most of our days in the newsroom — sometimes more than we’d like to admit. We think a drink from Front Room Coffeehouse will cure our “hangry” demeanor while we pump out the latest article, and we talk our loved ones’ ears off about the news, even when we’re away from work.

The bottom line is, we’re aware we can be a handful. In the midst of Valentine’s Day, we’re extra grateful for the family members, friends, partners and others in our lives for loving us unconditionally. Especially as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to take a toll on those around the world, it’s important to take a look at those we have in our lives and soak up the joy of their presence. 

Every year during the week of Valentine’s Day, this column is opened up to our entire staff as a way to express our gratitude for those whose patience, love and support we’d be nothing without. Here’s what some of our staffers had to say:

Abby Miller, editor-in-chief

I am so incredibly grateful for my best friend, Sarah, who was one of my first friends at Ohio University and still puts up with me today. Thank you for being by my side through all the highs and lows of college and always making me laugh in between. I love you! 

Tre Spencer, writer 

I have so much love for all my amazing “cookies” and other friends. I’m also so proud of my siblings and my parents for staying strong this year. Much love to everyone!

Taylor Burnette, projects editor

To the person who is always there for me,

Thank you for never-ending encouragement, love and care. I love you Mama! Thank you for all you do for me.

Love,

Tay

Ashley Beach, assistant sports editor

I have so much love for my family. They’re always there to pick up my calls or send me pictures of our animals. My family inspires me to work hard and pursue my passions. Miss ur faces

Isabel Nissley, slot editor, culture reporter

To my family, Nicole, Tate, all my Posties, and everyone else who has been vulnerable in my presence:

“The night so warm I could fall in love with anything including myself. My loves. You are the only people I'd surrender my softness to.”

— Noor Hindi, “Ode to Friendship”

Mady Lewellyn, beat editor

Sending all my love and gratitude to my besties, posties, family and partner. Thank you for being the shining light in my life and making everyday the best :) Couldn’t do it without you all! xoxo 

Emma Skidmore, news editor

I’m so thankful for all the girlfriends in my life! They are like sisters to me and are always there when I need them. Thank you for being my support group, can’t tell you how much love I have for you xo 

Mimi Calhoun, the beat writer

I’m sending all the love to my parents and brother because I’ve been missing them so much recently. I also want to give affirmation to my friends at OU, as they shower me with love and never ending support when I need it the most <3

Grace Koennecke, writer for the beat and culture

I’m writing this message to all my amazing family back home, aka my brother and sister, mom, and step-dad, as well as my grandparents. Thank you all for constantly supporting me and making me laugh even when we’re hours apart from each other. I love you! XO!

Hadass Galili, opinion columnist

I am writing this message to my very best friend in the world, Jacob Levin. Thank you, Jacob, for being my rock and my anchor since the beginning of freshman year. I have no idea what I would do without you. I love you endlessly! 

Emma Erion, sports and the beat writer

I am writing this message for all of my friends, who are the coolest people ever. I’m also writing it to my boyfriend, Aaron, who makes me happy every single day! My life would be much less epic without all of these people.

Alyssa Cruz, culture reporter

Estoy escribiendo este mensaje para mi abuelita. ¡Te extraño mucho cada día y estoy tan emocionada de verte pronto! Gracias por su constante apoyo y te quiero muchísimo. 

Hannah Campbell, assistant opinion editor

I’m so thankful to my fellow posties, especially to my wonderful boyfriend. You have been my support system through everything this year! Also, thank you to my wonderful mom!  

Bekah Bostick, slot editor

I’m sending my love to my amazing roommate Amy. You match my energy every time I see you and my favorite time of day is when we rant to each other about our days when we sit at the table. I love you <3

Lauren Serge, culture staff writer 

I’m writing this for all of the people in my life who bring me such joy, comfort and peace. To my excellent mother — my love for you is not always shown so explicitly, but you are incredibly strong and undeniably valued. To all of my friends here in Athens — you have made my time here so much better. I remember wanting to be home all the time freshman year, and now, I would much rather be with you all. Thank you and I love you. 

McKenna Christy, culture reporter 

This message is for my entire support system! Thank you so much to my parents and friends, I could not have navigated my first year or college without you all. Special thanks to Abby Neff who has guided me through my first year as a journalism student. I am so appreciative of your friendship and I look up to you more than you know! 

Zoe Cranfill, photographer

I am writing this message to my incredible support system at home and here in school.  I couldn’t be more happy to have amazing people in my life. My parents helped me start my dreams by buying me my first camera. Cole, my boyfriend for his constant support and the ability to keep me sane. Then last but not least my incredible friends who never cease to amaze me. 

Riley Runnells, culture editor

I want to show all of my appreciation and love to my family, friends and partner for always putting up with my ridiculous work schedule, treating me with kindness and always being my sounding board. I adore you all and can’t express my love enough, but I will certainly do my best.

Tate Raub, opinion and culture writer

Thank you to all of my fav “galentines” for always inspiring me to be the best version of myself. A special shoutout to Isabel for our conversations about everything and nothing, to Ashley for being my partner in whatever crime you might call accounting, to Riley for being on the same page as me without having to say a word and to Bre for being the best internship boss and always making me laugh.

Abby Neff, news and culture writer, copy editor

To anyone that’s ever taken a chance on me. To everyone who knew me before I knew myself. To you, dear reader. You remind me I am worth it every single day. I love you. Thank you for loving me. 

For anyone who believes they are unworthy of unconditional belonging:

“Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -- over and over announcing your place in the family of things.” - Mary Oliver, Wild Geese 

Abby Miller is a senior studying journalism and political science at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Abby at am166317@ohio.edu or tweet her @abblawrence.