Mya Hodge competes in the 100m hurdles at Ohio Track and Field's Cherry Blossom Invitational on April 7. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio shows improvement at 2 weekend invitationals

The Raleigh Relays hosted an eclectic assortment of college track and field teams from across the country last weekend. Certain races had up to 150 competitors overall. While Ohio garnered mostly middle-ground finishes, it still had an impressive weekend against a host of other programs.

The weekend saw some strong performances from individual Bobcats. Day one of competition kicked off with junior Autumn Mohan’s 32nd place finish in shot put. Mohan threw for 12.70 meters. Freshman Millie Ryan also competed in shot put, where she placed 41st with her throw of 11.85 meters. Mohan and Ryan also competed in discus, where they placed 23rd and 42nd respectively.

The Ohio men also competed on day one, earning a handful of solid finishes. Tony Tonkovich placed 61st in the 1500-meter race with his time of 3:48.39. Josh Park came in 86th place in the 5000-meter race with a time of 14:26.01.

Day two led to a slew of shining moments for Ohio. Stephanie Pierce earned the fifth-fastest time in school history with her 4:31.07 finish of the 1500-meter race. Alyssa Christian also had an impressive 1500-meter run, earning her best time of the season at 4:40.26. Taniah Stephens ran the 400-meter dash in 58.45 seconds .

Hailey Bowes had a stellar night as well. She earned a personal best in the 10,000-meter race with her time of 35:25.26 to close out competition on Friday.

The only field event of day two for Ohio was the high jump, where graduate student Taylor Strnad tied for16th.

Day three kicked off when Stephens competed in the 200-meter dash, where she earned a 64th place finish. Mohan also competed in the hammer throw, which was the only women’s field event of the day. She earned 16th place with a throw of 47.47 meters.

But the Bobcats weren’t only at the Raleigh Relays over the weekend. Several Bobcats competed at the Yellow Jacket Collegiate Open in Cedarville over the weekend. Carina Weaver placed fourth in the 5000-meter race with a time 18:12.77. Weaver was the only Bobcat who placed in the event.

The Bobcats seem to be trending upward. There is just over a month and a half left in the outdoor season, which gives the Bobcats plenty of time to show the potential they hold.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor