(Left to right) Trinity Robinson, Laila Wilson, Christopher Brown and Maurice Swift stand together in solidarity on Thursday, March 24, 2022, while protesting the hate crimes that occurred over the weekend. Brown, standing center left, is a victim of the crime from March 21, when Ohio University baseball pitcher Brady Linkel urinated on the James Hall resident assistant's door. Linkel is now charged with criminal mischief.

OU students march, protest in response to recent incidents of racism on campus

Ohio University students, faculty and staff protested what they saw as the university’s inaction and vague response to incidents of racism in a Student Senate planned protest and an OU NAACP march Thursday outside Cutler Hall.

Over the weekend, incidents of racism occurred at residence halls located on West Green, according to a previous Post report. In response to the incidents, Senate organized a protest, which quickly gathered hundreds of OU students.

_MG_9475.jpg

Participants began gathering in the Peden Stadium parking lot around 3:30 p.m. to march to Cutler Hall. Before marching, multiple students shared their experiences with racism on OU’s campus and demanded a prompt and focused response from President Hugh Sherman. 

Demarje’ Hogan, a senior studying sports administration, addressed how OU no longer felt like a safe space for Black students.

“We want this to be a safe space for us; we all chose to go here,” Hogan said. “OU is not feeling like home anymore for a lot of us here, and that's a sad thing to say because I've never thought I would find the day where I would say I am not comfortable being here anymore.”

OU’s NCAAP President Odessa Robinson, a junior studying communication, also addressed the crowd in the Peden parking lot and said she has never been proud to be a Bobcat due to the racism she experiences on OU’s campus. She said she discourages students from her high school from attending OU, to which she received the response “OU, oh no” from the crowd.

After a number of other students and a former faculty member shared their thoughts on racist incidents at OU, the leaders of the march, Joi Foy, a freshman studying journalism; Christopher Brown, a junior studying industrial engineering; and Maurice Swift, a senior studying community and public health pre-med, led the crowd through the march’s planned route.

Students shouted the phrase “no policy, no peace” as they proceeded through the route, and volunteers lined the edges of the crowd, acting as blockades of protection for Black student protestors. 

Deika Ahmed, a sophomore studying marketing, said it was important for people to join the protest because racism is not an issue for the Black community alone and, in order to progress, everyone needs to do their part to combat racism. 

Madison Wilson, a junior studying community and public health, agreed with Ahmed and said people need to ask themselves how they can advocate for change.

“We can do all we can with a sign and our time and our Black voices and our concern for ourselves and our community, but if no one (has) empathy and (allows) themselves to be in our shoes, then what is it all for?” Wilson asked. “If you don't care, I can't make you care.”

Once outside Cutler Hall, more students shared their responses to the recent racist incidents on campus, and many students demanded the university take action when dealing with those events rather than sending emails to the student body.

Former Student Senate Treasurer Simar Kalkat said she was confused as to why students were responsible for protesting the university to respond to the racist incidents.

“Why is it our job to be putting stuff on our own Instagram to get a response?” Kalkat asked.

Brown also addressed the crowd to dismiss claims concerning the incident in which Brady Linkel urinated on his dorm room’s door. Brown said he has heard people try to explain Linkel’s actions by arguing that he was sleepwalking, drunk or that he hated Brown as an RA. Brown said Linkel was under the influence but refuted the claims that he was sleepwalking and was one of his residents.

Multiple OU administrators made an appearance at the protest, including Sherman and Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Terry Hogan. 

After the crowd was made aware of Sherman’s presence, many of the speakers directed their statements toward him, including the new Senate Treasurer Trinity Robinson.

“I’m going to call you out every single time because it’s more than just being a Black student that goes to OU,” Robinson said. “You’re dealing with our futures, you’re dealing with our safety, you’re dealing with our mental well-being, and that is not something to play with.”

Following the demands of multiple students for Sherman to take action rather than send more emails, Swift requested Sherman make a statement on his own, to which he accepted and said he understood the concerns of Black students.

“I just have to say that from the bottom of my heart, this is not what I want this university to represent,” Sherman said. “I don't want the university to represent racism, and I don't want the university to have students on campus who feel unsafe.” 

HateCrimeProtest03.jpg

Trinity Robinson speaks directly to Ohio University President Sherman about the ineffectiveness of his administration's response to the three hate crimes over the weekend and the lack of effort toward ensuring OU's campus is a safe environment for Black students.

There will be continued dialogue to explore the types of actions the university can take to ensure Black students feel safe and supported at OU, Sherman said.

Despite Sherman’s statement, protestors demanded direct action be taken, including the expulsion of Brady Linkel from the university. 

Following the protest, Foy said there will need to be a response to Black students’ concerns from the university but that she felt they were heard. 

The student body as a whole also has a responsibility to help Black students be heard, Foy said.

“Recognize and take accountability that you have white privilege, and take accountability that our experiences are not your experiences,” Foy said. “Just because you have a good experience at Ohio University does not mean that we have a good experience.”

To further support OU’s Black students, Swift encouraged students to attend the Black Student Town Hall on Monday at 6 p.m. in Morton 127. 

@AddieHedges

ah766719@ohio.edu