The wildest looks from the 2022 spring runway season

Spring runway season is well under way for 2022. So far, we’ve seen everything from indoor blizzards, to a model literally dressed as Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast.

Runway fashion is a little different from regular, off-the-rack designer clothes you would find at Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue. It is typically much more experimental and bold, which can lead to looks that resemble magnificent works of art, and others that seem more like sights for sore eyes.

The general public might see runway fashion as completely unwearable, but for A-list celebrities, it marks the newest crop of clothing they can select from to strut the red carpet in. Thankfully, we’re here to round up the wackiest of the spring runway looks so far, and take a stab at guessing which celebrities have the ability to pull off these eccentric pieces.

1.   Slouchy sweater dress look from Valentino (March 6)

Valentino’s runway show was a little offbeat, as every single look from head to toe was either black or pink. This loud, hot pink dress feels like something we would see Ashley Tisdale wearing on the red carpet
for a Disney Channel Original Movie in 2009.

Simply put, it just doesn’t seem very high fashion. For that reason, we could see Rachel Brosnahan (star of The Marvelous Ms. Maisel) rocking this at some sort of themed charity event that isn’t black tie, more of a charity brunch. Brosnahan has also worn many bold colors before, so I could really see her being able to pull this off.

2.  Squiggly bodysuit from Dior and D-Air Lab (March 1)

Collaborations between designers are a pretty popular way to create fresh and exciting new looks that are the best of both designers’ creative visions. However, a collaboration between Dior, and a company that creates coats for scientists working in sub-zero temperatures in Antarctica was certainly unexpected.

This bodysuit looks like something straight out of Tron or Ready Player One. We think it would look great at the HBO-sponsored Golden Globe Awards After Party. Keeping with the HBO theme, we think Hunter Schaefer (Jules in Euphoria) would absolutely kill it in this, as she is known for her typically more bizarre fashion choices.

3.   Balenciaga’s caution tape chic (March 6)

No, the most bizarre part of this outfit is not the fact that the model is completely wrapped up in Balenciaga-emblazoned caution tape. In fact, Balenciaga’s runway was turned into a literal indoor blizzard for this show.

Spring runway is where designers present their fall/winter collections, but I think we got that point without putting the models in extreme conditions. Kim Kardashian, as the queen of Balenciaga and form-fitting clothing, was absolutely who we saw wearing this outfit. As it turns out, she’s actually already worn it. Our next guess would have to be Megan Thee Stallion in one of her iconic music videos; she can pull absolutely any item of clothing off.

4.   Pseudo-table cloth dress from Moschino (Feb. 24)

There was some slight controversy surrounding this line because Jeremy Scott, the creative director for Moschino, was adamant that this line was not Beauty and the Beast inspired. If you take one look at the decorative furniture-inspired dresses though, it becomes quite obvious that he was clearly drawing inspiration from the Disney classic.

I am really intrigued by the fact that there is literally just silverware tacked onto the bodice of this dress. Obviously, very few people could pull this off, but Janelle Monae would stun in it. Her dress for the 2019 Camp-themed Met Gala was perfectly eccentric; it was grandiose, bold and had a little eyeball adorned on it. She would absolutely wear this dinner table dress on any red carpet

5.    A literal grandfather clock from Moschino (Feb. 24)

This look borderlines on downright hilarious. Moschino is known for its campy, pop culture inspired looks, but this is almost outlandish. The intricacy of the details is absolutely spectacular though, as well as the slightly 3-dimensional bodice.

Still, is this something that I could see hanging in literally anyone’s closet? No. If anyone could pull it off though, it would be Katy Perry, the eccentric queen herself. She is always wearing something wacky, and when "Teenage Dream" came out in 2010, she probably would’ve worn this on the Kids Choice Awards green carpet.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor