Former Student Senate Chief Justice, Hannah Flemming, listens to students at the Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022.

Student Senate: Executive officers address recent racist events, advocate community events

At the Ohio University Student Senate meeting Wednesday, Senate’s executive officer expressed concern about racism on campus and condemned recent racist acts on campus.

On Sunday, a trash bag with a note with a racial slur taped to the bag was left outside a resident’s door in Sargent Hall. A second incident Monday involved an OU baseball player urinating on a Black student’s doorway in James Hall. However, the second incident has not been found to be racially motivated by OUPD, according to a previous Post report.

Student Senate President Becky “Eliza” Ivan called the acts unacceptable and mentioned the peaceful protest organized by Senate that is scheduled for Thursday at 4:30 p.m. outside Cutler Hall. Ivan said she has worked to ensure that the event will remain peaceful. 

“This is a place to uplift, hear and support students of color’s voices, and anything otherwise will not be tolerated,” Ivan said. 

Senate’s Vice President Elaina Tartal echoed Ivan’s statement. 

“It’s honestly disgusting that people still, to this day, engage in that behavior and believe that way because we are all one community together, and we need to support one another and amplify students of color's voices to make sure that these attacks are nonexistent on this campus,” Tartal said.

Senate also voted to approve adding proposed changes to the senate constitution to the ballot for the upcoming election on March 29. 

The proposed changes aim to minimize hard-to-navigate language and make the senate constitution more accessible to the general student population. At a student speakout in February, multiple students in attendance expressed frustration with the document and called for revisions to update it. 

Several appointments were passed Wednesday, including the appointment of Oli Arambula as commissioner of minority affairs. Carson Server was also appointed as new Director of Public Relations and Andrew Cornelison will serve as the new Academic Affairs Commissioner through the end of the year. 

LGBTQIA+ affairs commissioner Luvina Cooley mentioned the remaining pride week events this week. On Thursday, an LGBTQ+ centered town hall will be held with local community and university leaders. That event will be available virtually or in Walter Hall 135. On Friday, a virtual roundtable in partnership with SHADES will also be held at 4 p.m. Links will be accessible through the senate meeting minutes. 

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu