'Post’ statement regarding campus racism

The Post condemns all acts of racism at Ohio University. 

OU should be a safe place for all – especially Black students. However, recent events demonstrate that there are still people at our university who choose racism over basic human decency. 

As journalists, we understand the power of words. In incidents like these, ambiguity and vague language shields the aggressor. OU must make it clear — what happened in Sargent Hall was a hate crime. And, the university’s failure to protect its students of color is nothing new. 

In 2020, the university did not rescind admission for two incoming students, Lilly Huber and Ally Davis, who used racial slurs and harmful stereotypes in videos online despite OU’s chapter of the NAACP writing a letter calling for the institution to do so.

In 2021, a former member of OU’s men’s golf team, Henry Poston, posted a racist TikTok, which the university condemned, but failed to provide any insight into how it would ensure future racist acts at OU are met with the necessary accountability and actionable items.

In 2022, racism — both covert and overt — clearly continues to exist at OU, pervading all facets of life in Athens.

The university claims to “categorically reject” hateful behaviors, and plans to develop “action items” in response to the weekend’s racist acts. What will these meaningful action items be, and how will they ensure the safety of students of color at OU? OU’s investigation into these incidents must be comprehensive and transparent to students and faculty. 

The Post is not blameless either. We will cover the investigations critically and open ourselves to suggestions for improvement. To connect with us, email The Post at editor@thepostathens.com or message us on social media. The Post newsroom is in Baker University Center room 325, and is open to all students, faculty and staff from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Scan the QR code or enter this link to access a list of educational resources and OU events addressing race and injustice.

resources QR code.png