The public attends the Athens City Council meeting in Athens City Hall on Monday, February 3, 2020.

City Council: Committees address new tenant program for renters

Athens City Council discussed a new pay-to-stay program addressing evictions in the city at its Monday night committee meetings.

The Committee of the Whole discussed a new pay-to-stay program, which was put together by United Athens County Tenants and would create a safeguard for renters who may be facing eviction.

Councilman Ben Ziff, D-At Large, said Ohio is currently one of five states that allows evictions if a tenant is one day late in paying their rent. The pay-to-stay program would allow tenants time until the eviction hearing to pay all of their late fees and the full cost of rent. 

Ziff said there are 12 other cities in Ohio that have implemented a pay to stay program. 

Councilwoman Solveig Spjeldnes, D-1st Ward, said it might be helpful if tenants were required to notify their landlord if they are going to be late on a payment. In doing so, the landlord could be prepared to work with that individual, she said.

In other business, the Finance and Personnel Committee discussed two appropriations. One is a $10,000  appropriation to the Athens Enhancement Fund in support of the arts and music festival which will take place in August. The second is a $500 appropriation to the general fund for the law director’s office that is in need of a computer. 

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu