Photo by Tre Spencer

Kat Tracks: College is important for success

Katie Trott | For The Post

As a current college student, I often hear my peers groan about the financial burden of a college education. Many say, “college is a waste of time.” These peers often cite examples of highly successful individuals who didn’t start or complete a college education as a reason that college isn’t necessary for success. 

Considering only 6% of those who do not receive a college education become successful, it’s safe to say that following in their footsteps might not be the best decision.

In a 2019 Gallup poll of over 2,000 Americans, 51% considered college education “very important.” The number of Americans who regard college as important has greatly declined as the cost of college has surged 20% in the past 10 years and continues to rise. 

Even though college is vastly overpriced these days, the benefits of college education heavily dictate success. Obtaining debt is not ideal, but neither is struggling to make a living.

Although high paying jobs are never a guarantee, college graduates have access to 57% more opportunities than those without a degree. Americans with college degrees can also expect to make at least $30,000 more than those who only have high school diplomas.

Having a college education means having access to better opportunities in the workforce. Currently, nearly 60% of all jobs in the U.S. economy require a higher education, but since 2008, 95% of jobs created have required a college education.

Georgetown University estimates that by 2027, 70% of all jobs will require some college education. Now, more than ever, college education is vital to being considered a viable candidate in the job market.

Other than success in the workforce, college also provides essential life experiences. It offers a helpful transition into the adult world. The deadlines, applications and independence skills are all easier to adjust to in college where support is offered at every turn. Many colleges provide a variety of different resources such as counseling services, academic assistance, career planning and time management classes. 

College also offers the opportunity to make lifelong friendships and social connections. These are beneficial to mental health and networking. College also provides the ability for students to find their passion and explore different interest by joining clubs, attending campus events and taking classes. These opportunities are often difficult to find if you avoid the college route and immerse yourself into the adult world.

There are various options for people of all financial situations to obtain the benefits that college offers. Low-income students can receive federal aid, grants, and scholarships just by completing applications. Online colleges are also an affordable option.  

Even though a large percentage of Americans have deemed college to be a financial burden of minimal importance to overall success, facts and statistics prove the importance of college education for success due to the opportunities and experiences it provides.