Cutler Hall on College Green.

OU names new interim vice president for student affairs

Ohio University announced Thursday that William Schafer will serve as its interim vice president for student affairs starting July 20. 

Schafer will replace Terry Hogan as interim vice president for student affairs — a departure from the role which was previously planned. Hogan’s term followed Jenny Hall-Jones’ decision to leave OU in January 2022. 

Schafer has years of experience as a student affairs professional, according to a university news release. Prior to accepting the position of interim vice president for student affairs at OU, Shafer worked in leadership positions at West Virginia University and Georgia Institute of Technology, among other institutions. 

Schafer has also served as interim vice president and dean of students at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. 

Schafer has a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, a master’s degree in guidance and counseling and a doctorate in higher education administration and curriculum, all of which he earned from the University of Colorado Boulder. 

"(Schafer) is recognized as a strong advocate for the student experience and throughout his career has worked alongside his academic partners to develop extraordinary educational experiences in and out of the classroom,“ OU President Hugh Sherman said. "I look forward to working with him in the coming weeks."

OU will conduct a national search for the position during the Fall Semester, which will align with its search for the university’s 23rd President. 

Schafer’s contract allows him to serve as interim vice president of student affairs until a permanent candidate is named by OU. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu 

Molly Wilson

News Editor