Weekender Briefs: Celebrate Juneteenth, drive an electric car

Friday, June 17

The Women of Appalachia Project, an organization aimed at discussing the discrimination of Appalachian women, is hosting a “Women Speak” event at 7 p.m. at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, where a wide array of Appalachian women with various identities will share their experiences through storytelling, poetry and music to uplift the female Appalachian community. Ohio Poet Laureate Kari Gunter-Seymour will host the event.

Admission: Free

The monthly ‘80s Dance Night event will return Friday at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., with DJ Barticus hosting. Put on your favorite ‘80s outfits and dance to numerous ‘80s hits until 2 a.m. 

Admission: $5

Saturday, June 18

The Athens Art Market will return once again on Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Market on State, 1000 E State St., for its weekly display of locally-made art. The market, presented by Athens Art Guild, features curated works such as paintings, pottery, jewelry and furniture.

Admission: Free

Join Ohio University for its celebration of Juneteenth on Saturday, commemorating Emancipation Day. The festivities will begin with a health walk at 10 a.m. at Baker University Center and will continue with the Juneteenth Festival at College Green with music, food and local vendors from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m.

Admission: Free

Come to The Union, 18 W. Union St., to hear performances by In Flow, Rat Motel and Jojomber. Doors open at 7 p.m. for the 8 p.m. concert.

Admission: $8

Patty Griffin will be at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square at 8 p.m., performing her folk music for the Nelsonville community. The Grammy-winning artist will perform her fan-favorite songs and music from her 10th studio album released in 2019.

Admission: $40-45 for reserved seats, $55 for boxed seats

Sunday, June 19

Create personalized journals with Danette at Chosen Pathways Emporium, 400 E. State St., at 1 p.m. Learn how to make a Grimoire, or a book of spells, and a Tome, or a book of knowledge, at this week’s session. 

Admission: Free

The Electric Vehicle Ride and Drive Event allows guests to test drive electric cars, motorcycles and bikes and learn about the benefits of driving electric on clean energy. This event, hosted by Rural Action and Drive Electric Southeast Ohio, will be held at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., at 1 p.m. Food and drinks will be available.

Admission: Free

@laureneserge

ls351117@ohio.edu