Your in-person class survival guide for the 2022-23 school year

With the beginning of the semester upon us, there’s always a lot of mixed emotions: excitement, happiness, anxiety and even nervousness. Everyone goes through their own first day jitters with the new school year starting, but since things are slowly creeping back to “normal” with classes mainly being in-person, there’s an added factor to a students’ course load.

Being offline and back in the classroom can be a bit unfamiliar to some, as it’s been a few years with school being online. Whether you’re a freshman in college or still used to online classes, we’ve got some tips to help you survive in-person classes for the 2022-23 school year:

Bring paper and writing utensils

While it may seem a bit old fashioned, some professors still don’t allow technology to be used in their classes. Save yourself the trouble of forgetting things by bringing extra paper and a pen or pencil to your first few classes. That way you have enough time to learn what your professors’ expectations are and if they allow computers or tablets for things such as notes instead.

Come to class at least five minutes early

The last thing you want to do on your first day of class is show up late. Not only is it embarrassing, but the added disappointment in your professor’s eyes and unintentionally being singled out will be more than enough to ensure that you probably won’t do it again. Some professors begin class right on the dot too, so be overly cautious by showing up early.

Don’t skip lectures

As tempting as it may be to hear the words “optional attendance,” it’s not a smart idea to skip class and lectures at the beginning of the semester. It’ll be a bad habit to fall into, and it’s better to get used to going and keep a consistent schedule instead. Especially when you may need to go in for exams or help, your professor may note that you haven’t been showing up.

Find class study-buddies

One perk of being in-person is that you’re actually able to interact with other people now. Take the opportunity to create connections by setting up study groups and getting to know people in your class. You’re all going through the same thing, so it’s a good chance to meet new people while also helping one another out.

Actually study for your exams

During online class, it probably was tempting to sneak a peek at materials or have things open note, but it’s time to push past those days and go back to actually taking the time to study for your exams. Although some professors may be lenient, not all of them will allow you to have supplemental things for tests and in-person exams. Try studying with other people, flash cards or watch YouTube videos on the topics.

Talk to your professors after class

People say that college is all about the connections and networking, and that does have some truth to it. It’s good to introduce yourself to your professors, as it lets them know that you’re at least a bit interested in the class and that you’re willing to put in some effort. If you need help or recommendations, talking to your professors sets up a bridge to those things, too.

Don’t be too hard on yourself

Remember that it’s OK to struggle a bit and not have everything figured out right away. After spending a few years with online classes, it can take some time to get into the swing of doing school in-person. College is already a big leap but relearning how to learn in an offline environment is too. Give yourself some leeway and trust the fact that you’ll figure things out at your own pace.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu