Ohio reciever Tyler Walton (#4) catches the ball during Ohio's 28-26 loss to Duquesne on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, in Peden Stadium.

Football: Get to know Ohio's receiving corps

Ohio’s passing game was not its strongest area last season, as it lost a number of productive pass-catchers from the year before. In 2021, only one pass-catcher eclipsed over 400 yards, and the team totaled just 11 receiving touchdowns throughout the season.

After a tough couple of years, here is a look at Ohio’s receiving corps headed into the 2022 season:

Who’s Gone

Ohio may have lost a good deal of production in the running back room, but that is nothing compared to what has happened to its receiving corps. Four of Ohio’s top six receivers from last season are gone, including receivers Cameron Odom and Isiah Cox, tight end Ryan Luehrman and running back De’Montre Tuggle.

Those four combined for 1,141 yards and seven touchdowns on 95 receptions. Those totals account for 51.7%. of Ohio’s receiving yards, 63.6% of its touchdowns and 47.5% of its receptions, representing a staggering loss in production for Ohio’s passing game.

Who’s Back

The biggest returning name for the Bobcats is Tyler Walton, who led the team in receptions last season with 32. Walton also finished second in receiving yards with 380. He was one of just three players with multiple receiving touchdowns, and the only one who will be back this season.

Ohio has also seen a high degree of turnover at the tight end position. The most notable returner is Alec Burton, who had seven receptions for 54 yards last season.

Also returning are receivers James Bostic and Miles Cross. Cross was one of only eight Ohio receivers to surpass 100 yards last season.

Who’s New

Due to the number of productive pass-catchers who left this offseason, the Bobcats turned in part to the transfer portal to replenish. They picked up Sam Wiglusz, a grad transfer from Ohio State. He appeared in 13 games for the Buckeyes, making only three catches for 25 total yards, but getting a player from one of the single best position rooms in college football is bound to be good for Ohio.

On the recruiting side, Ohio signed Rodney Harris II, a three-star wide receiver out of Cincinnati. It will take time to restock Ohio’s receiver room, but the signing of Harris is a good start.

Position Outlook

Ohio’s receiving corps has taken a serious hit in terms of production over the past couple of years, and this season may also be a challenge. Even though returners Walton and Allison will be asked to play major roles, Ohio will not have enough on offense without production from both newcomers and some unexpected sources.

This is where having an offensive-minded coach and an experienced quarterback will help the Bobcats. Second-year head coach Tim Albin is a former offensive coordinator, and likely starting quarterback Kurtis Rourke is entering his third year of significant playing time.

If those two are able to find a way to work around Ohio’s lack of returning production, Ohio will be okay on offense, but if they cannot, it will be a long season.

@willocunningham

wc425318@ohio.edu