Moments with Mimi: K-Pop girl group LOONA more ethereal and talented in-person with their first world tour, “LOONA THE WORLD”

On Aug. 13, 2022, I went to yet another sporadic K-Pop concert. Held at the same venue as the Dreamcatcher concert I attended in July, I was blessed to be in the presence of 11 girls that have taken the K-Pop world by storm. At Old Forester's Paristown Hall, in Louisville, Kentucky, I experienced another concert for the books.

LOONA is a 12 member K-Pop girl group under Blockberry Creative and fully debuted in 2018. One thing that has made the group stand out so much is that from October 2016 to June 2018, each member was slowly revealed one by one each month. Every girl also got their own single album and a music video to accompany the title track. To say that the budget was huge for a rookie group is a massive understatement.

Putting so much money into a group that wasn't guaranteed to succeed seemed to actually be one of Loona's successes, as all twelve members also are composed of three subunits: LOONA ⅓ODD EYE CIRCLE and yyxy. The group also has a complicated lore which I will quickly summarize as LOONA ⅓ are regular girls that live on earth, ODD EYE CIRCLE exist in a plane called, "The Middle Earth" and yyxy takes place in Eden.

Because of the multiple members, the intricate storyline and unique debut system, LOONA has become a well-known group around the world. If you have ever seen the words, "Stan LOONA" anywhere on Twitter either, this is the group to which it refers.

So I once again stood next to sweaty and stinky bodies in the general admission pit, waiting for one of my most favorite K-Pop girl groups to come out. I managed to get just as close as I had for Dreamcatcher, about three rows back from the barricade and close enough to see the girls' beauty in-person. And their visuals are indeed no joke.

They came out in variations of all-white outfits, and seeing them perform one of my most favorite songs by them, "Butterfly," in those clothes was a dream come true. It was breathtaking how amazing they looked in person and videos or photos can't do them justice. The other two outfit changes, one with a color palette of hot pink and black, as well as their red and black clothing change was also more than enough to have the audience swooning.

LOONA is also known to have very in-sync choreography, and I was impressed to see that live. Although one of their members, Chuu, was unable to come on tour due to her promotions in South Korea, and member Choerry had to stop during the first quarter of the concert due to health issues, the remaining ten girls held their own with the complex choreography.

All in all, it was a successful concert with high energy and an unforgettable performance. The group truly lives up to the expectations in both the looks and talent department, and all I can say now is, "Stan LOONA."

Mimi Calhoun is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have something to say? Email Mimi at mc300120@ohio.edu or tweet her @mimi_calhoun.