Ohio’s soccer team’s practice was interrupted by an out of control truck that drove through the south goal at Chessa Field on Wednesday. The driver was found dead when authorities arrived; no member of the team was physically injured.

Soccer: Chessa Field damaged in fatal car accident

A fatal car accident occurred on Sept. 7 that dealt damage to Chessa Field and surrounding areas. The soccer team had just finished practice and was still present at the time the incident occurred.

Associate head coach Cortney Wiesler was listed as a witness on the Athens Police Department crash report, but the report didn't list any players or coaches as being injured.

The vehicle traveled north on South Shafer Street where it went into the opposite lane of traffic and hit a curb near Hospital Drive. The vehicle then continued through the grass before it knocked down two trees, tore the surrounding fence line and knocked out one of the goal posts, according to the APD report.

The vehicle then crossed the remaining field, passed by the soccer players and crashed into the west side fence, which caused the vehicle to flip. The vehicle was found flipped by APD shortly after, and the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Ohio Athletics shared that last week's motor vehicle incident around Chessa Field caused no delays to their existing events schedule, and various field repairs will be completed later this week," Jim Sabin, a university spokesperson said in an email.

The Bobcats are scheduled to play Western Carolina at home at 2 p.m. on Friday. 

Sara Legarsky, senior director of athletics communications, said the athletic department has no further statement at this time.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu