Paramore is simply one of the best bands of all time, and Hayley Williams should be worshiped for her ungodly vocal abilities. Get ready for the release of their new single on Sept. 28 (Photo provided via @paramore on Instagram).

Underrated Artist: Paramore is responsible for bringing pop punk to the mainstream

Pop punk was huge in the early 2000s, all thanks to major bands such as My Chemical Romance, Pierce the Veil, Panic! At The Disco and most importantly, Paramore. 

Headed by one of the genre’s only leading frontwomen at the time, singer and songwriter Hayley Williams, the band was able to attract a fan base of all different identities, proving that the genre was not just a man’s game and that a woman could outsing and outperform any rocker in her way.

Now, Paramore is gearing up to release their first single in five years, “This Is Why,” on Sept. 28, and their reemergence to the alternative scene is starting an excited uproar all over social media. Clearly, this is a sign that this band has made an impressive impact since their first album in 2005.

Yet, their impact seems to go unnoticed time after time, especially as the group has continued to evolve in their sound, an obvious notion seen on their last album, 2017’s “After Laughter.” ‘Why is this?’ I asked myself, as I’ve grown up totally enamored with this band. It’s because hardly anyone has written about this weird lack of recognition.

So, let me rant for a page or two about Paramore, and why Hayley Williams, Zac Farro and Taylor York are some of the best musicians of our time.

First off, have you heard Hayley Williams sing?

While many mainstream music critics focus on the vocal techniques of artists such as Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Beyonce and Rihanna, there’s no doubt that Hayley Williams may just top them all when it comes to vocal strength, range and ability.

Hayley Williams has a four-octave range, receiving vocal training in her high school choir and in private, and has mastered the art of breath control and pulling from her lower register. While she’s considered a soprano, the singer can hit the low notes and run around on stage without pausing to take a breath. 

Her live vocals are also extremely calculated and effortless, evident in performances such as “Last Hope” and “Told You So.” Clearly, Williams is underappreciated as a vocalist and is arguably one of the best female singers out there currently.

Paramore has some of the best live performances

While Williams has an amazing voice to hear live, her bandmates, Zac Farro and Taylor York, also help bring the energy to any performance. Farro is a powerhouse on the drums, making his return to the band in 2017 after leaving Paramore seven years prior, and can practically play anything. Meanwhile, York handles the guitar and is the one to thank for the band’s iconic riffs and bridges.

One of Paramore’s most noteworthy performances was their headlining gig at Bonnaroo in 2018, playing an array of songs from albums “Riot!,” “Paramore” and “After Laughter.” The band’s charisma was evident, as well as their stage presence, with Williams rocking an iconic rainbow explosion of eyeshadow and an 80s-inspired bleach blonde mess of curls.

They’re critically acclaimed

Paramore’s big breakthrough was with the release of their sophomore album, “Riot!” in 2007. The album featured famous singles such as “Misery Business” and “That’s What You Get,” allowing the project to go 2x-platinum, with “Misery Business” being their biggest song to date.

Two years later, the band released “Brand New Eyes,” earning them an opening act spot for You Me At Six for a 15-date European tour, which allowed them to play to 12,000 fans at Wembley Stadium. 

In 2012, Paramore came back with their self-titled album, with the new release reaching No.1 on the US Billboard 200 and UK Album Chart. One of its fan-favorites, “Still Into You” went onto become double platinum. Three years later, the band won “Best Rock Song” at The Grammys for the album’s lead single, “Ain’t It Fun.”

With 2017’s “After Laughter,” the album debuted at No. 6 on the US Billboard 200, making it the band’s third Top 10 on the chart. 

In conclusion…

Paramore is simply one of the best bands of all time, and Hayley Williams should be worshiped for her ungodly vocal abilities. Get ready for the release of their new single on Sept. 28, or you’ll be sorry!

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu