What Dungeons and Dragons class you should be playing as

There are more people now playing “Dungeons and Dragons” than ever before, thanks to it being brought into the limelight through media like “Critical Role” and “Stranger Things,” as well as nerd culture becoming more and more normal in the mainstream. However, getting into the hobby can be daunting, as it requires extensive reading on the races, classes and archetypes, as well as having to understand the modifiers and points that go with them. To make it easier, we’re gonna break down the D&D classes to help you figure out what you should be playing as:

Warlock

If you’re someone who LOVES making up backstories for characters, the warlock is for you. Warlocks are magic-wielders who gained their powers through a deal with a higher power, allowing for the creatives among us to have a great time building background lore for their characters. 

Fighter

If you’re just starting out with D&D and don’t want to fully commit to it, the fighter is your best option. Skilled in the martial arts and able to use pretty much any weapon without having to learn magic, fighters are perfect for those who want easy character build or are uncertain if they actually want to commit to a campaign, even though they definitely should. 

Barbarian

Barbarians are for those that want to play as a fighter but don’t want to use strategy. If you just want to run around and hit things during encounters, the barbarian is for you. Primitive yet inhumanly strong, barbarians can fly into a rage that levels everything around them, making it great for someone that is just there for a good time. 

Druid 

If you’re someone who loves hiking or are an avid watcher of BBC nature documentaries, the druid is a great option. Unlike other magic users who call upon higher powers, inherited traits or years of knowledge, druids call upon the power of the natural world, making it a great class for nature lovers.

Bard

Bards are, stereotypically, for the extroverts, theater kids and all-around showmen. Using the power of music and the arts as magic, bards are one of the few classes that can play as both support and offense, making it great for those that want to show off their skills or just have some fun.

Wizard

A wizard is the best option for someone who values strategy and intelligence above all in a campaign. Gaining their power through years of study and scholarship, the wizard is for those that always liked the old, mentor-style characters in the media.

Paladin

Paladins are similar to warlocks in the way that both are bound to a higher power and receive their abilities from that deity, but the main difference is paladins are more likely to play support than offense. So, if you love the idea of writing detailed backstories for characters but don’t like the thought of being heavy on the front lines, the paladin is for you. 

Sorcerer

Sorcerers are best for those who don’t want to write detailed backstories, but still want to use magic. Drawing their power from their bloodline or from some sort of incident in their past, a sorcerer wields their magic to play offensively during encounters.

Cleric 

Maybe you want to play as a paladin but want to take on a bit more of an offensive role. That’s what the cleric is for. Imbued with the power of a deity they worship, they wield it in order to play both offense and support on the battlefield during encounters, making it great for those that aren’t too fond of being relegated to solely one or the other. 

Ranger

Rangers are for the people that are torn between being a druid and a fighter. Designed to guard the edges of civilization from threats, their advanced fighting skills combined with their ability to use the magic of nature at later levels make it amazing for those torn between the two classes.

Rogue

If writing angsty backstories is your thing, the rogue is perfect for you. Thieves and scoundrels who use their stealth and manipulation tactics to get through encounters and to advance in the game, they make a great class for the edgelord in all of us. 

Monk

If you grew up watching karate movies and asking when you would be able to do that, or were drawn to Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda, this is your time. Playing as a monk enables you to combine fighting skills and magic through the study of ki, an energy that is in and around all in the D&D universe.

@alicia_szcz

as589820@ohio.edu