The Anatomy Fashion Show hosted by Phi Delta Epsilon in Baker Ball Room gave attendees the chance to learn about the human body and to raise funds for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals through a silent auction and raffle on Sunday, Oct. 23, 2022. 

Fashion show with twist fundraises thousands

The event wristbands resembled official hospital bracelets, the photo backdrop bore the Nationwide Children’s Hospital logo and upon tables sat 3D models of human anatomy. Before even entering the Baker Ballroom, attendees could feel the effort Phi Delta Epsilon Ohio Eta Chapter had put into planning its first annual Anatomy Fashion Show.

“This planning actually started back last year in June,” Eunice Prasojo, a senior studying nutrition science, said. Prasojo is also a member of Phi Delta Epsilon and served as the Anatomy Fashion Show chair.

Phi Delta Epsilon is an international medical fraternity founded in 1904, and the Ohio Eta chapter was founded in 2012.

The Anatomy Fashion Show is a “trademarked program of Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity, Inc. benefiting Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals,” according to the official Phi Delta Epsilon website. The concept has existed since 2012, but this year was the Ohio Eta chapter’s first stab at the runway.

All funds from the Anatomy Fashion show go to Children’s Miracle Network, or CMN, Hospitals. The Anatomy Fashion Show will be benefiting the most local CMN Hospital, Nationwide Children’s in Columbus.

“(Nationwide Children’s is) a part of the CMN network, which is a network of 170 children’s hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada,” said Robbii Miller, director of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals at Nationwide Children’s. “And so we opt into this network to be able to have access to the corporate partners and programs that have committed to fundraise for their local children’s hospital.”

The Phi Delta Epsilon Ohio Eta Chapter raised $3,234, surpassing its $2,500 goal.

“Fundraising allows us to do what we do best, and that's provide the highest quality of care to our patients and families,” said Miller. “So with these funds that (Phi Delta Epsilon) commit to their local children's hospital, we're able to … support our families as best we can.”

At the Anatomy Fashion Show, Baker Ballroom’s walls were lined with tables for refreshments, raffles and silent auctions — local vendors including Passionworks, Kismet and Tony’s Tavern pitched in. Magenta-hued mood lighting framed the main, u-shaped stage.

Three professors donning sparkly blazers served as the event emcees, and sequins the color of bronze, dark gray and turquoise glinted in the overhead lights. Corey Beck, associate professor of instruction in chemistry, Shadrick Paris, professor of instruction in chemistry and Ian Klein, associate professor of instruction in biology, commanded the stage with charismatic ease.

People of all ages followed along an entertaining and informative story of fictional twin Ohio University students Aaron and Karen as they traveled from Athens to Columbus to see their pregnant mother give birth. Amidst the narration of the tale, models in hand-painted, sand-colored morph suits strutted along the runway. The artists’ anatomically correct work was intricate, and the models nailed their comedic timing.

Leighton Heiner, a sophomore studying philosophy, modeled the respiratory system. She recommended others volunteer in the future.

“It was really fun, and I’ve been super impressed with all of the time and planning and passion that everyone’s put into this project,” Heiner said. “I’m really excited to see what this looks like in the coming years.”

The rousing halftime game of “Are You Smarter than a Med Student?” challenged an audience of all ages. A medical student and undergraduate sat on stage for a spin on the early-2000s game show “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” Over 100 audience members played along via Kahoot!, and after 13 questions, the undergraduate reigned supreme.

Two weeks before the show, Prasojo said she was most worried about technical difficulties.

“I’m just hoping that the mic doesn’t go out,” Prasojo said.

Her worst fear came true — an emcee’s mic went out mid-monologue. Without pause, the dead mic was placed on the ground and a live mic was passed to the speaker. The show went on. Seamlessly, the mics were passed between hands like a sleight of hand.

“Everything was fine. … everything went amazing,” Prasojo said after the inaugural Anatomy Fashion Show concluded. “I’m so happy about how everything turned out, and I can’t wait to see what we have for next year.”

@dorigraywrites

dg286016@ohio.edu