Athens High School Football Team Against Marietta, at Joe Burrow Stadium, in Athens Ohio, Sep 2, 2022.

Athens Football: Bulldogs end season with crushing 46-7 defeat

Athens lost its final game of the season. It fell 46-7 against conference rival Nelsonville-York Friday night. 

Athens finished the season 2-8 overall and 2-4 in the Tri-Valley Ohio Conference. It ended with one less win than last year, but it is looking to improve in the 2023 season. 

Facing the number one team in the conference, the game against Nelsonville-York was about as ugly as any game this season for the Bulldogs. Going into the half, Athens was already down 27-7 after giving up a 47-yard rushing touchdown to Nelsonville-York senior Hudson Stalder on the game's first drive. 

It was deja-vu for the Bulldogs as the opposing run game pummeled the defense. Stadler ran all night long for 136 yards and two touchdowns on only 11 carries. 

The second half was much of the same for Athens, if not worse. It did not put up a point in the second half and ended the season with a crushing defeat. 

Senior Luke Brandes put up a huge game to end his high school football career. The running back had 162 rushing yards and scored the Bulldog's sole touchdown of the game. With 162 yards Friday, Brandes surpassed the 500-yard mark for rushing on the season. 

Athens will have much to improve upon after finishing fifth in the TVC-Ohio. However, the team will not look much different next year. They are only losing four seniors and should return with a stronger and more experienced roster. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu