Fresh Finds Friday: Goulding talks about relationships; Lil Uzi Vert changes it with his new chant rap, "Just Wanna Rock.”

As week ten comes to a close, Bobcats are looking forward to Halloween weekend. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. This past week, Lil Uzi Vert, Taylor Swift  and others have dropped new music. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are 5 new songs to get you through the week:

“Matinee” by Smino 

Smino is a recurring theme as of late as he prepares to drop his upcoming album, “Love 4 Rent,” which is the long-awaited followup to his previous album, “NOIR.” “Matinee” was made effortlessly. Big tune, bro. Big tune. Shout out my boy Kyle Banks,” he said in an interview. Kyle Banks was the mastermind who produced the track. Expect Matinee and many others on “Luv 4 Rent,” dropping on Oct.28.

“Surrender My Heart” by Carly Rae Jepsen 

The intro song to Jepsen's new album, "The Loneliest Time," jumps almost immediately into these 80s disco arpeggios. It only gets more disco as the music continues. It uses the similar styles of Sam Smith's "Dancing With A Stranger," except it's more upbeat and explores flirtatious vibes. It continues the vibe she is known for, mixing it with the more evolved modern sounds of today.

“Midnights“ by Taylor Swift 

Since its release last Friday, "Midnights" has already become the first album in five years to move more than a million units in its opening week, according to Wall Street journal. Taylor Swift is known, however, to make popular bangers with the themes of young love and heartbreak. In an interview with Spotify, Swift states the following as inspiration: "Self Loathing, Fantasizing about Revenge, Wondering what might have been, Falling in Love, and Falling Apart. 

“Let It Die” by Ellie Goulding 

"Let it Die" is Goulding's first outing since teaming up with Alok and Sigala on "All By Myself" earlier this month. "I think for that reason, nobody wanted to sit and agonize over some relationship or some drama," Goulding said in an interview. That's how this album is a piece on being passionately in love, a form of love that's so quick it almost feels like drug-induced love that feels "almost artificial." When it does crash, if it does crash, let it die and let it go.

“Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert 

There’s a lot of culture within the number of leaks that happen for unreleased and unfinished tracks from big-name rappers. So maybe that’s what occurred with “Just Wanna Rock” that Lil Uzi Vert’s single has little to no rapping. It is not necessarily a rap song, but it is a chant over an oddly catchy high-BPM beat, making it perfect for pregaming all things exciting this weekend. 

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu