The Marching 110 plays classics for the crowd as they march down South Court Street during the Homecoming Parade. (Jason Chow | Staff Photographer)

Weekender Main: Marching 110’s Homecoming includes many opportunities to watch, cheer on

Ohio University’s Marching 110 has a habit of making people forget the hours of practice the band goes through to create multiple show-stopping performances during Homecoming week. 

There isn’t just one place to watch the Marching 110 this weekend and one of the band’s music section leaders, Luka Zuschlag, a senior studying music education, said the preparation for the performances is a full-time commitment. 

“Normally, I like to say band is like a full-time job,” Zuschlag said. “And then Homecoming week is kind of like you’re doing overtime.”

Members of the Marching 110, Zuschlag said, attend all of their regularly scheduled practice sessions and specific section practices to prepare for Homecoming. Similarly, Ravyn Steiding, a sophomore studying strategic communications and a tuba player for the band, said she considers her role to be a job. Despite the effort and time it takes to master their performances, Zuschlag and Steiding said the Marching 110 has given them a lot in return.

“I think everybody in the 110 also is really excited every year for Homecoming” Zuschlag said. “We know that so many (alumni) are going to be there. And we’re gonna have so much support from every fan.”

For those who want to support the Marching 110 during their performances this week, there are a number of opportunities for people to do so.

“Morning rehearsals on game days are always open,” Steiding said. “So you can walk into Peden Stadium and just watch us do our thing. We treat that practically as a performance.”

Zuschlag also said that there will be an open practice on Friday for people to watch in Peden Stadium. The practice runs from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.

At noon on Saturday, there will be a Marching 110 tailgate with lunch for a $10 donation. Zuschlag said people who are tailgating will be able to hear a little extra from the band. 

People, Steiding said, tend to leave the Homecoming football game early, but if they stick around post-game they can watch the band perform again. 

“I know a lot of people come to the game and then they take off after a little bit, but if you stay until after the game, we do a crazy postgame show,” Steiding said. “And it’s where you get to see all your cheer dancers, you get to see the tubas do their long train dances. But especially this game, every single one of the alumni are doing post-game with us.”

Not only will the Marching 110 walk and perform in the Homecoming parade on Saturday, but they will be found throughout Homecoming festivities. Jess Stirewalt, a senior studying nursing, said she always enjoys watching the Homecoming parade and looks forward to seeing the Marching 110. 

“I always enjoy listening to the music and watching the band play,” Stirewalt said. “And I think that the Marching 110 is a phenomenal band.” 

The opportunity to watch the Marching 110 most of the day on Saturday is accredited to the hard work of each band member. And behind every student at OU is a passion for the Marching 110. 

“We’re all just trying really hard,” Zuschlag said. “(And) working our butts off trying to make it the best show that we can.”

@McKennaChristy1

mc957019@ohio.edu