Decorations at Murphy's Field of Screams on October 7, 2022 in Coolville, Ohio.

Field of Screams terrifies visitors

Off of James A. Rhodes Appalachian Highway sits a narrow, gravel road that snakes its way through dust and fog to Murphy’s Field, home of the Field of Screams.

Located just outside of Athens County in Coolville, Ohio, Murphy’s Farm Field of Screams is open until Oct. 29 every Friday and Saturday from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. For $15, participants endure a haunted-house-like experience deep in the terrifying, interactive field.

Once visitors have mustered enough confidence to leave their vehicles, they head to the ticket booth—if they have not purchased tickets online already—and wait while listening to classic Halloween songs played by none other than DJ Beetlejuice, in full costume.

After tickets have been secured, guests join the conglomerate of future victims gathered around a fire, waiting for their color ticket to be called by the esteemed DJ. 

As each ticket is called, groups of about 45 unfortunate souls are loaded onto a tractor trailer and the journey to the haunted field begins, sending shivers down participants' spines as the air around them grows colder. 

Once inside, visitors step off the trailer and funnel their way slowly through the entrance way, following different paths through wooded areas, trying their best to make as little noise as possible. 

“They take us through two doors and then you're just on your own,” said Vicki Nichols from Williamstown, West Virginia. “There's a path and it's lit every so often and then people just jump out from everywhere.” 

Accompanying Nichols was 4th grader, Ryder Grogg, who said the scariest part of the field was the clown. 

Both out of breath from screaming, Grogg enthusiastically said they would return again, although Nichols wasn’t as quick to agree.

SpurlockHauntedHouse.jpeg

Gavin Murphy, a 16-year-old scarer, has worked at the Fields since they opened, which he said was about two or three years ago. 

Murphy’s job is to wander all night and fill in where needed, making sure everyone crossing his path never has a chance to let their guard down. From clowns to scary pigheaded monsters, Murphy has done it all, donning any costume that he thinks will scare passers-by.

When considering his favorite part of being a scarer, Murphy said it has to be “Mostly when they pee their pants,” which he has seen happen.

Zachary See, a 17-year-old, helps run the merchandise booth at the field most Saturday nights. 

“I'm a friend of someone who's in the family that runs and owns the Field of Screams here, and she was like, ‘Hey, you want to come help out?’” See said.

Referring to the Field of Screams, See said recently it has grown a lot, with people coming from all over to hop on the trailers to be taken to their imminent doom. 

According to See, all the proceeds from the Field of Screams go toward helping them keep their farm and making sure that next year's field is even scarier than the last. 

cc142520@ohio.edu

chomicki_11