Ohio's Regan Berg (20) celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal against Northern Illinois at Chessa Field on October 6, 2022.

Soccer: Ohio picks up two key wins as regular season winds down

Ohio faced off against Toledo and Western Michigan this week, going 2-0 and picking up two important Mid-American Conference wins as the MAC tournament is quickly approaching. Here’s what you need to know about Ohio’s two victories:

Thursday

The Bobcats traveled to Toledo to take on the Rockets for a much-needed MAC win. The scoring started off in the 16th minute with a goal from junior forward Aubrey Rea, putting Ohio up 1-0. Both the Ohio and Toledo defenses tightened for the rest of the half, and the score stood 1-0 at the break.

Toledo broke through in the second half with a goal in the 49th minute from redshirt junior forward Madison Medalle. Ohio would respond just two minutes later in the 51st minute with a goal from senior forward Regan Berg, and would soon add to its lead in the 55th minute when redshirt senior Haley Miller knocked in a goal set up by Berg’s fifth assist of the season to put Ohio up 3-1.

The last bit of offense came from Berg once again, as she scored another goal in the 85th minute to put Ohio up 4-1. The goal gave Berg the team lead in goals on the year with eight. 

Sunday

After picking up a crucial MAC win, Ohio returned home to Chessa Field and looked to carry the momentum into its match against Western Michigan. Ohio came into the match sitting behind Western Michigan in the MAC standings with only two matches remaining before tournament play begins.

Ohio got off to an early lead in the 14th minute on a goal from the team leader in points, Abby Townsend, and assisted by top scorer Regan Berg to put Ohio up 1-0. Ohio would later add to its lead in the 42nd minute when senior midfielder Olivia Darrow netted her first goal of the season off of assists from Rea and freshman forward Scout Murray. 

Western Michigan cut Ohio’s lead in half in the 65th minute when sophomore forward Jaden Peck found the net, assisted by fellow sophomore Emily Pagett. Ohio would strike back quickly in the 68th minute, with Townsend netting her second of the match off of an assist from junior forward Shae Robertson and putting Ohio up 3-1.

Ohio’s defense upped the physicality to maintain the two-goal lead, but that resulted in a penalty kick for Western Michigan, which was converted in the 75th minute by Jenna Blackburn, cutting the deficit to 3-2. 

That penalty kick would be the last goal scored in the match as Ohio held on to top Western Michigan 3-2 and pick up a crucial MAC win with one match remaining in the regular season.

Ohio has positioned itself to earn a spot in the Mid-American Conference Tournament if it is able to secure a victory against Akron on Thursday. 

“We want to just keep extending the season,” head coach Aaron Rodgers said. “I think if we have a good performance like we did today, I think we can win the game.” 

Ohio takes on Akron on the road this Thursday to finish off its regular season schedule and potentially secure a spot in the MAC Tournament. 

bw327020@ohio.edu