Ohio University has opened the doors to Heritage Hall for the College of Osteopathic Medicine in Athens, Ohio.

OU's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine to receive $1 million gift

Ohio University's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine will receive a $700,000 gift in honor of Robert C. Fulford, a pioneer in osteopathic manipulative medicine. 

According to a university news release, Richard Fulford, Fulford's son, gifted the school in honor of his father's innovative work in the osteopathy field. 

Fulford, born in Cincinnati, Ohio, focused his career on manipulative medicine and alternative medical remedies such as cranial osteopathy. During his career, Fulford also wrote three books and became close with students and faculty at OU's Heritage College, where he shared some of his findings. 

Along with the significant gift, an endowment fund has been opened in the name of Fulford to support osteopathic manipulative medicine programs at Heritage College. A $300,000 fund will also be created to further programs within the college, per the request of Richard Fulford's will.

According to the release, the $1 million gift will be the largest Heritage College has ever received.

To honor Fulford's legacy, the osteopathic manipulative medicine lab in Heritage Hall will be named The Robert C. Fulford D.O., Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Lab.  

"Richard Fulford's incredible generosity will allow us to further integrate osteopathic manipulative medicine throughout our educational continuum, ensuring that every student who trains in the Robert C. Fulford, D.O., Osteopathic Manipulative Lab graduates with the knowledge and skills to expertly address neuromusculoskeletal disorders and care for the whole patient," Ken Johnson, executive dean of the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and OU's chief medical affairs officer, said in the release.

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu