Fresh Finds Friday: IDK pays homage to MF DOOM; SZA releases TikTok challenge song “Shirt.”

As week eleven closes, Bobcats are pushing through colder weather and getting closer to Thanksgiving break. With that said, listening to new tunes throughout the week and weekend is always good. This past week, IDK, SZA and others have dropped new music. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Monsieur Dior” by IDK

Maryland rapper IDK, known by most for his 2017 album, "IWASVERYBAD," continues his recent hot streak of releasing new music with his latest drop, "Monsieur Dior." The song pays homage to "Red" collaborator MF DOOM who had a friendly relationship with IDK, using the sample from MF DOOM's "One Beer" as well in the abbreviation of the song's title, sharing the same "M.D" abbreviation. MF DOOM passed away on Oct. 31, 2020.

“Before You” by Benson Boone

Rising pop artist Benson Boone released his new ballad “Before You.” Despite the sad pianos, it eventually drives into this more upbeat, soaring ballad that is a love song. “It’s about begging in love with someone that you truly believe is everything to you,” Boone said in an interview. “Before You” comes after the release of his “Walk Me Home" EP last July. Expect this to be a highlight of Boone’s live set when he heads on his special sold-out west coast tour in December of this year.

“Shirt“ by SZA

Some may know “Shirt” as a viral soundtracked snippet for a dance challenge on TikTok. However, it hasn’t formally been released until now, and fans have the whole track in total, with an accompanying music video featuring “Get Out” actor LaKeith Lee Stanfield. It finds SZA and Stanfield, who also has previously appeared in the “I Hate U” visual, swerving through city streets late at night. It also arrives shortly after the fifth anniversary of “CTRL.”

“Actual Life 3” by Fred again…

Fred Gibson, aka ‘Fred again…’ has dance enthusiasts talking, as he's on his path to becoming one of the genre's most notable artists. From popup shows in New York City to Boiler Room, Fred again… has been everywhere, and that's a trend that will continue moving forward with his new third studio album, released "Actual Life 3". Rollout was pregamed by five pre-album singles, among them "Danielle (smile on my face)," "Bleu (better in time)," and "Clara (the night is dark)." Fred again… samples songs from his freshman album “Mustafa," creating this continuity as a cohesive extension of the story rooted in April 2020.

“All I Never Wanted” by Zzz.

Emerging 18-year-old rapper, Zzz has signed to Warner Records and dropped his new track, “All I Never Wanted.” Although he’s been making waves in several ways over the past year, including “Running Away,” he’s joined in partnership with Lil Bibby’s Grade A Productions, which has helped establish big-name rappers such as Juice WRLD and The Kid LAROI. “All I Never Wanted” showcases Zzz’s distinct approach to melodic hip-hop. “It’s a privilege to be able to show the world an extraordinary creative talent (like) Zzz,” said Lil Bibby about the signing.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu