Dating apps 101: Do’s and don’ts for a successful dating app experience

It’s no secret we’ve come to live in a heavily technology-reliant world. There’s apps for practically anything and everything, with one of those things being dating. 

Dating can be hard and scary, not to mention totally intimidating. It’s nice to have apps that can help aid us in our process of finding our person. If you’re a newbie to the dating app world, you probably have some questions. “What kind of pictures do I put on my profile?” “What’s a good bio?” “How do I set dating preferences?” These are all great and valid questions. Here’s a list of do’s and don’ts to ensure a successful dating app experience: 

Do: Know what you’re looking for and make it known!

Yes, it’s true. Dating apps aren’t always used for dating. Dating apps are full of different people, and it would be naive to think they’re all looking for their future spouse. Hook-ups, casual relationships and long term relationships are typically the main three pursuits of being on the apps. Hinge has a setting where you can set your “dating intentions.” 

Options range from “life partner” to “short-term relationship.” Tinder recently added a similar feature on their app where the user can put a preference sticker on their profile which will show all potential matches what they’re looking for. Tinder’s “relationship goals” options include looking for just new friends, short-term fun and long-term partner– to name a few. It’s important to make what you’re looking for known so you and your potential boos are all on the same page as far as intentions and priorities go!

Don’t: Use group pictures.

Yes, sometimes you’ll come across someone you know on the apps, but often these people are strangers to you – they don’t know what you look like! When dating app users only put group pictures on their profile, it makes it really confusing on who the potential match is – and can usually be a turn off for most people. People want to know who they’re swiping on. It’d be best to use high-quality, clear, pictures that don’t have bold and overpowering filters (often from Snapchat). You want to put your best foot forward for potential matches, so let that show with your image choices.

Do: Make sure your radius is accurate.

There’s nothing worse than finding the perfect match only to realize they live hundreds of miles away. Both Tinder and Hinge have features where you can set a certain distance to where you’ll only see potential matches within certain miles. This means if you’re in Athens, you won’t be seeing potential matches from Oregon. 

Don’t: Put too much personal information on your profile.

This can be dangerous! It’s best to keep your profile information to your first name, a general location of where you are, your age, your interests and dating intentions. Refrain from putting contact information on your profile and specifics on where you are located. Once you feel comfortable talking to a match and trust them, it’s okay to read their vibe and share this information if you feel comfortable doing so – but stay away from making this public knowledge. 

Do: Meet in a public place on the first meeting.

A lot of us are taught from a young age to “not talk to strangers on the internet,” which means meeting up with a stranger from the internet must be the golden “no-no.” It has become a little more accepted to do this, just make sure you’re being safe about it. Don’t meet in a private place like someone’s home. Restaurants work great for first date meet up spots. 

Don’t: Get upset and defeated.

These are dating apps, no “friend to lovers trope.” You are quite literally judging whether these people are potential lovers by a few pictures and basic information. It might feel like you’re clicking Hinge’s “X” button in the bottom left corner 3,000 times before you finally send one like, but whether you’re rejecting or being rejected, don’t take it too personal. Again, these people only know such a small portion of who you really are. If you keep at it, you will find what you’re looking for!

Most everyone wants to love and be loved, so being on the apps is not something to be embarrassed or ashamed of! Apps as such specifically help those who are a little more shy and a little more introverted get out into the dating pool. Have fun, be safe and find what you’re looking for!

@olivia_rohling

or325320@ohio.edu