Fresh Finds Friday: Arlo parks return after hiatus, boygenius releases $20, The Kid Laroi talks about life difficulties

A new semester has dawned upon Bobcat faithful and the time to get back into the swings of classes and work. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. Arlo Parks, boygenius and others have dropped new music this past week. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we've made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

"MANSION MUSIK" by Trippie Redd

Canton, Ohio, based rapper Trippie Redd came onto the rap scene in 2017, emerging as one of the better rappers from the Soundcloud rap era. He was mainly noted for his melodic tunes, with tasteful rage. Redd also has features with artists, such as the late "Juice WRLD" and more. 

Most recently, his new fifth studio album, "MANSION MUSIK," takes a somewhat different approach from the latter one that includes more focus on techno-like beats that are heavy on synths and futuristic tones. 

However, songs such as "Psycho" and "KILLIONAIRE" retains what most fans would say he's known for overall, "Mansion MUSIK," is a mix of new meets old.

"$20" by boygenius, Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus

Nearly five years ago, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker announced they were joining forces that'd triumph over the indie-rock scene; they call this supergroup' boygenius.' "$20" is among three features on their recent EP "the record," and the members individually wrote each. Hence, the style matches the writer more than the group itself. "$20," "represents the greatest synthesis of their powers, a desperate compulsion toward self-ruin, motorcycles, empty wallets, a sleepless drive from reno," says a Pitchfork report.

"Weightless" by Arlo Parks

After a brief hiatus, British singer/songwriter Arlo Parks returns with their newly released single "Weightless," which reflects on loving someone emotionally unavailable. The music video depicts Parks walking through the city, as clips juxtapose moments with a lover. "Weightless" will be the lead single of Park's upcoming album "My Soft Machine," which releases May 26.

"Aqua Regia" by Sleep Token 

"Aqua Regia" marks Sleep Token's fourth song to date this year, following songs such as "The Summoning" and "Chokehold." While originally a rock band, a metal one at that, "Aqua Regia" doesn't sound like your traditional metal song; rather, it's quite a slow pace and atmosphere. The intro reminds me of "Electric Love" by Børn. So if electro-pop and rock music is your favorite, check this out.

"I Can't Go Back To The Way It Was (Intro)" by The Kid LAROI 

The Kid LAROI released his recent album "The First Time," which sees Laroi sharing intimate details about his life ranging from his relationship with his parents and the difficulties that life often holds over atmospheric instrumentals before the release of the album Jan 19. "I Can't Go Back To The Way It Was," the song that marked his first release since "Thousand Miles" last April. The music video cuts away with a reveal saying his next track, "Love Again," arrives Jan 27. 

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu