Here’s everything you need to know about informal recruitment at OU

You may have seen various sororities and fraternities take to social media, advertising “informal recruitment” events such as cookie decorating, dinner at a local Athens restaurant or pizza parties. If you’re new to Greek life on campus, this time may seem confusing if you know nothing about it.

Luckily, this article is here as a guide for this year’s informal recruitment process. Whether you’re looking to join a sorority or fraternity, here’s everything you need to know:

What is informal recruitment?

Informal recruitment takes away the stress of formal recruitment as all chapters on campus organize optional events for those interested in joining. There’s no rounds or elimination at the end of each day, and you can go to as many events as you want. During these events, you basically get to know everyone involved in the chapter, and most importantly, whoever is in charge of membership for the chapter you’re visiting. This individual will help guide you through events, and they usually meet with you at the end to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the day, as well as if they’re looking to join the organization. It’s overall low stress and enjoyable compared to the overwhelming nature of formal recruitment.

Why go through informal recruitment?

You’re probably wondering why people choose to go through informal recruitment, especially if there were various formal recruitment events in the fall. Most people choose the informal recruitment route because it's usually less time consuming and drama-free. Also, many may have been too busy during the fall to join, especially freshmen who are trying to adjust to their college schedules. Informal recruitment is also an easier way to make friends without worrying what to wear or how to act, and there’s no pressure to join an organization. Essentially, this process is perfect for those who want to get more involved, as well as have the time to be a part of a sorority or fraternity. 

Informal Recruitment Events

If you’re looking for informal recruitment events to attend throughout the next few weeks, here are some listed below from multiple chapters on campus.

Women’s Panhellenic Association:

Delta Zeta

Jan. 28: Donuts with DZ from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

Feb. 2: Pizza & PJs at 7 p.m. 

Feb. 7: Galentines with DZ at 7 p.m.

All events will be held at 55 Mill Street.

Delta Gamma 

Jan. 23: Mocktails from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Jan. 25: Braille Cards from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

All events will be held at 40 N. College Street.

Sigma Kappa

From Jan. 19 to Feb. 5, those interested in joining a sorority can grab coffee with a member from Sigma Kappa. You can sign up at the link here.

Alpha Omicron Pi 

Jan. 23: Bobcat Back Boost from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Front Room 

Jan. 31: Painting with the Pi’s from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 

Feb. 8: Galentine’s from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at 8 Church Street

The location for Painting with the Pi’s is TBD.

Alpha Xi Delta

Jan. 21: Tote Bag Painting from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at 16 College Street.

For more information, click the link here to sign an informal recruitment interest form.

Chi Omega

Jan. 20: Lunch at the House from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 10 S. College Street. 

There will be French toast, bacon, scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes. 

Alpha Gamma Delta

Jan. 26: Charcuterie Night at 7 p.m.

Jan. 30: Bracelet Making Night at 7 p.m.

Feb. 1: Formal Mocktail Night at 7 p.m.

All events will be at 14 University Terrace.

Pi Beta Phi

Jan. 31: Meet & Greet and House Tour at 7 p.m.

Feb. 1: Philanthropy at 7 p.m.

Feb. 6: Sisterhood 

The sisterhood event’s time is TBD. All events will take place at 6 S. College Street. Contact Kayleigh Chavayda at 330-653-8193 for more information. 

Reach out to the National Pan-Hellenic Council, or NPHC, for possible informal recruitment events as none were posted by their executive committees via email.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu