A timeline of Mila Kunis and Ashton’s Kutcher iconic history as a couple

In 1998, Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher were launched into fame after starring in “That ‘70s Show,” playing Jackie Burkhart and Michael Kelso at only 14 and 20 years old. From there on, their relationship blossomed into a close friendship and then eventually into a relationship, solidifying the two actors as one of Hollywood’s now most beloved couples.

For those who are interested in their history as a couple, here is a timeline of Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher’s relationship:

1998: Kunis and Kutcher meet on ‘That ‘70s Show,’ share first on-screen kiss 

Kunis and Kutcher both land roles in the Fox sitcom “That ‘70s Show,” playing Jackie Burkhart and Michael Kelso. At the time, Kunis was only 14 years old, while Kutcher was 20, which a lot of fans didn’t realize until the show ended in 2006. The casting director wanted all of the actors on set to at least be 18 years old, but Kunis admitted that she lied about her age during an interview with Jay Leno in 2012 to get her role, which slated her to play Kutcher’s girlfriend.

She said, "I told them I was gonna be 18, which, you know — I've said this story before — it's not technically a lie, cause at one point— given all things went right — I was gonna be 18. They figured out sooner or later that I wasn't, but that's ok.”

Several episodes into the show, Kunis and Kutcher shared their first scripted kiss on camera, and Kunis revealed later in an interview with People from 2001 that she was nervous and uncomfortable to do it. 

"I was like, 'Oh, he's so cute, it's the Calvin Klein model," Kunis said. "Then I was like, 'I have to kiss him?' I was so nervous and uncomfortable. I had the biggest crush on him.”

Kutcher also didn’t realize that it was Kunis’s first kiss off-screen as well, making the situation even more awkward because of their age difference. In the same People interview, Kutcher said, "I'm the first guy she kissed? Oh my god, I had no idea. I'm so glad I didn't know that or it would've been too much pressure.”

Sept. 24, 2005: Kutcher marries actress Demi Moore

Seven years later, Kutcher marries actress Demi Moore, becoming the step-father to her three daughters. 

Nov. 16, 2005: After Kutcher leaves ‘That ‘70s Show,’ Kunis keeps in touch with him

Kutcher decided to leave “That ‘70s Show” after seven seasons, but remained in the first four episodes of season eight, not returning until the series finale a year later. Even though his exit meant he wouldn’t be seeing Kunis anymore, the actress continued to keep in touch with him, but wasn’t thinking of him in a romantic way. 

January 2011: Kunis and actor Macaulay Culkin break up

After starting their relationship in 2002, Kunis and actor Macaulay Culkin called it quits nine years later.

Nov. 17, 2011: Moore announces her divorce from Kutcher

11 months after Kunis’s breakup, Moore announced her plans to divorce Kutcher. In a statement published to CNN, the actress said, “It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I have decided to end my six-year marriage to Ashton.”

That same day, Kutcher took to Twitter, tweeting, “Marriage is one of the most difficult things in the world and unfortunately sometimes they fail.” Since then, it’s been deleted.

Jan. 15, 2012: Kunis and Kutcher reconnect at the 69th Golden Globe Awards and Kutcher’s after party.

During an interview on Marc Maron’s podcast, “WTF with Marc Maron,” from 2018, Kunis said that she and Kutcher rekindled their friendship again at the 69th Golden Globe Awards.

Kunis said, "I was looking around, and there was a really beautiful man from the back. I was literally like, 'Oh, he's kinda hot.' … And then he turned around, and I was like, 'Oh, my God, it's Kutch.’”

The two started talking as soon as Kutcher recognized her, the actor inviting her to his Hollywood Hills housewarming party after the show.

Kutcher said that the two got even closer during his housewarming party, in particular recalling a moment when the two went outside to smoke a cigarette on “The Howard Stern Show.” The actor said, “I think I was smoking cigarettes at the time, and I was still a smoker. And she had quit smoking and she was like, she wanted me to like shotgun a cigarette smoke so she could breathe it in and I was like, 'All right.’”

He also said, “And I started doing this. And gradually through the night, it got closer and closer and closer … It was kind of obvious that things were happening.”

In a separate interview with Howard Stern, Kunis claiming that Kutcher was trying to set her up with one of his friends. She said, “I brought a girlfriend with me. I was like, 'You have to come with me, because just in case,'" she said. "So lo and behold he was trying to set me up with a friend of his.”

April 2012: Kutcher and Kunis move in together

After months of casually dating, Kunis began to reach her breaking point, basically ending things with Kutcher to avoid growing more serious. Yet, the actor surprised her the day after by asking her to move in with him.

February 2014: The actors get engaged

Finalizing his divorce in late 2013, Kutcher proposed to Kunis shortly after, People spotting the actress with a Tiffany engagement ring on Feb. 27, 2014. 

May 9. 2014: Kunis announces she’s pregnant on ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’

Kunis made an appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” three months after the couple’s proposal went public, revealing that she was expecting her first child with Kutcher during the talk show. The actress said she had been craving sauerkraut and pickles so far during her pregnancy.

Oct. 1, 2014: The couple welcomes their first child

The actors’ first daughter Wyatt Isabelle Kutcher was born at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, CA on Oct. 1, 2014. In an interview with Conan O’Brien later that month, Kutcher said, "It's unbelievable. It's the greatest thing on Earth. We're really privileged that we have time and can afford to take time. So we don't have a nanny or a night nurse or any of the stuff. It's just the two of us.”

July 4, 2015: Kutcher and Kunis get married

When Kunis was 12, she said she wouldn’t get married until LGBTQIA+ individuals could, which served in favor when the Supreme Court case Obergefell v. Hodges ruled that the fundamental right to marry could be guaranteed to same-sex couples in 2015. 

In an interview with Glamour from 2016, the actress said, "Commitment sounded great, but I didn't believe in marriage. I grew up in West Hollywood, and my brother has reminded me that when I was like 12, I said, 'When gay people can get married, then I'll get married.' I was ahead of my time. The Supreme Court decision (on same-sex marriage came down), and that's when Ashton and I got married.”

The couple got married in a private ceremony in Oak Glen, CA on July 4.

Nov. 30, 2016: Kunis gives birth to the couple’s second child

Kunis and Kutcher welcomed their second child Dimitri Portwood Kutcher on Nov. 30, 2016.

Dec. 3, 2017: The couple walk on their first red carpet together

With five years down so far in their relationship, Kunis and Kutcher walked their first red carpet together at the Breakthrough Prize Awards. 

March 4, 2020: Kunis and Kutcher talk about parenting on “Teach Me Something New” 

The couple sat down for a joint interview for the “Teach Me Something New” podcast, their first interview together since doing press for “That ‘70s Show.” The actors spoke with host Brit Morin about parenting and acting on the podcast’s first episode, with Kunis saying, “I think we're silly at home. We're very goofy parents when it comes to our children. But ... none of that's skill, I think that's just being idiots. Like, I think we're very comfortable with ourselves acting a fool at home.”

Feb. 7, 2021: The two appear in a Super Bowl commercial together

Partnering with Cheetos for a Super Bowl commercial, Kunis and Kutcher thought the opportunity would be a fun and silly one for fans of the couple.

In an interview with ET, Kunis said, “It's so silly! Ashton and I, we never work together. I mean, I know we've worked together before [on 'That '70s Show' and more] … but in the midst of quarantine, they sent us this ad to do.”

March 2022: The couple raise over $30 million for Ukrainian refugees

When Russia invaded Ukraine at the end of February in 2022, the couple started a GoFundMe to support refugees fleeing the country. Kunis emigrated from the Ukraine when she was seven, which inspired her to help out with the massive platform she shares with Kutcher. Since then, the pair have raised over $36 million.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy also reached out to the couple, thanking them for their efforts on Twitter. 

Jan. 19, 2023: Kunis and Kutcher reprise their roles as Jackie and Kelso on ‘That ‘90s Show’

Returning for a brief cameo on the first episode of Netflix’s “That ‘90s Show,” Kutcher and Kunis revived their roles of Kelso and Jackie after 17 years of being away from “That ‘70s Show.”

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu