Image features Bryan Bielanski, provided from his website in permitted photos.

Artist Spotlight: Bryan Bielanski hopes to spread change, positivity through music

In an age where hard rock and metal music tops the charts, one musician hopes to change the narrative and create positive music for all to listen to.

Acoustic singer-songwriter Bryan Bielanski describes himself as if “Nirvana and the Beatles had a kid together.” After previously playing in punk rock bands, he wanted to start making more upbeat music to reach a larger audience.

Inspired by artists such as Tommy Petty and Rem, Bielanski said his sound has also been compared to the works of Buddy Holly, The Ramones and Blink-182.

“I’ve met quite a few musicians over the years that get weird about when people compare them to famous people, but I always take it as a compliment,” Bielanski said.

Bielanski said the inspiration behind his previous album, “Bryan’s Super Happy Fun Time,” came during the COVID-19 pandemic. He said he wanted to branch out from his previous work and make music that makes audience members think deeply and keep a good attitude. 

“I think audiences are really enjoying the message there, so I’m just sticking with it,” Bielanski said. “I think the new [album] is even happier and more fun than the last one.”

Bielanski has traveled all over the world for over 10 years to share his music with people.

He is currently on tour to promote his album, “Bryan’s Super Happy Fun Time II,” which was released on Jan. 10, 2022, as well as his next album, which is expected to release in March.

For his most recent album, Bielanski said he gets his songwriting inspiration from touring. Whether he’s traveling or has a quick minute during sound checks, he writes down his lyric and song ideas.

One song in particular, “Elf Girlfriend,” was written while he was touring around Arizona and New Mexico. He was camping out in a forest, and did research on some supernatural sightings.

“I thought, ‘Let me put a positive spin on it, kind of like a fairytale,’” Bielanski said. “That’s the one people like most off of ‘Super Happy Fun Time II.’”

Bielanski will be playing at the Smiling Skull, 108 W. Union St., this Friday at 8 p.m. He said the performance will feature original songs and acoustic covers.

“People should just expect to hear some catchy songs, and some good vibes,” Bielanski said. “Get ready to have a fun time.”

Bielanski said his tour will continue through July, with 98 tour dates confirmed. He also said he hopes to release a live album this year that incorporates more of his acoustic songs he performs on tour.

As he reflects on his past and upcoming performances, Bielanski said he hopes current fans and new listeners carry on his message of positivity and fun. 

“Music is pretty much my whole life,” Bielanski said. “It comes from an earnest place. They should get ready to hear some sincere but really fun music.”

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu