2022 Awards Season: What Should You Watch?

Even if you are not as invested in film as me, you probably at least saw tweets about it or some news articles published five minutes after each category was announced. 

Awards season for the world’s films is one of the most exciting times of the year, as it’s a curated collection of film critics, casual enjoyers and performers who unite and appreciate one another’s work. Many people like myself have found ourselves at odds with the chosen winners and nominees throughout the event’s past, especially taking into account the Hollywood board’s limited choice when it comes to displaying a diverse array of stories. 

However, this past year there has been a breakthrough in international and social representation and appreciation. The films that were nominated and won were diverse and I believe the lineup was the best it has been in decades. If you weren’t tuned into the films that won, or you’re looking for some distinctive films to add to your watchlist, here are some of the best.

It’s no surprise that I would mention Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan’s film “Everything Everywhere All At Once.” It’s a surreal masterpiece in filmmaking and an example of originality that will most definitely stand as a classic for future generations of actors and upcoming filmmakers. It’s outstandingly original and masterfully crafted.

Without spoiling this fantastic film, it’s a story about the multiverse and the mind-bending experience a woman and her family have during an audit session for her laundromat business. The plot doesn’t sound all that extraordinary, but the movie almost instantly takes a turn into the beautifully absurd, with hot-dog fingers and a universe where life never evolved past rocks. I don’t want to give away all the colorful craziness here, so if that even slightly interests you, I would recommend sitting down and experiencing the film for yourself. Each cast member is immensely talented and they all deliver a wacky but wholesome experience that’s one in a lifetime, one that you can experience on any of those streaming services. 

Another film that features a harrowing story on family relationships is the dramatic coming-of-age film “Aftersun." This film follows a father-daughter relationship, specifically the daughter looking back on a family vacation from her youth before her and father’s relationship became estranged. The film is devastatingly gorgeous. The angles and shots throughout the film are tight and long, and they make scenes drag for minutes as the actors awkwardly try to work through their relationship. The beauty is that it’s all done on purpose. The film transforms from a story to an experience, and you can put yourself into the movie and empathize with everything the characters are dealing with. This movie is available on Amazon Prime and Apple TV for rent, but it’s not streaming just yet.

The final film I recommend is one that while being nominated, only received a few awards compared to the first two I mentioned. Specifically, this film wasn’t even mentioned at the Oscars or the bigger awards shows like the Academy Awards. The film is called “Eo.” It’s a quaint little Polish film that follows a gray donkey named Eo as he travels throughout Poland and experiences life’s wonders: joy, pain and drama. It’s an outlier to most of the Hollywood flicks to come out this year, but it did receive accolades for being a bright indie film that breaks into new territory where most films don’t go. Without exposing the events of the film, I can say this one was swept under everyone’s noses. It’s a delight to watch and a very peculiar piece of art that I believe needs to be seen by more eyes. 

In light of the 2023 awards season happening soon, I suggest giving these films a watch so you can prepare for the works of art to be showcased this upcoming 2022 awards season.

Mia Ashby is a junior studying Journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Mia by emailing her at ma237419@ohio.edu