Weekender Briefs: Unveil your inner emo or jump into a new book

Friday, Feb. 10

ACRN’s Emo Prom will see local artists Abel, Leba, Penny and Hollow take the stage at The Union, located at 18 W. Union St. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the theme is, as the title suggests, emo prom. A raffle and costume contest will also occur during the night. 

Attendance: $10 under 21, $8 for 21+

Ohio University in Africa: A Historical Look is an exhibit focused on the institution’s activities in Africa throughout the 1950s to 1980s. It will include the university’s first international project with Nigeria, as well as other milestones and projects. The event is located in Alden Library’s first floor International Collections section and can be viewed from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Attendance: Free

Ohio men’s basketball vs. Akron at The Convo will start at 7:30 p.m. The themes are ‘90s and Black History night. The first 500 students will receive a free Fresh Bobcats of Athens t-shirt. There will also be free B.B.C. Chicken n’ Waffles for students while supplies last.

Attendance: Free for students, $15-30 for non-students

Saturday, Feb. 11

Ohio Late Nights lasts from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Jefferson Hall. There will be multiple activities such as board games and crafts. Bring friends for a relaxing and fun night.

Attendance: Free

BRRRRR Oak Winter Hike 2023 will include a one mile interpretive hike, a three mile hike, a five mile hike and an eight mile hike. All hikes will meet at the Burr Oak State Park, located at 10220 Burr Oak Lodge Rd., at 10 a.m., and participants can choose which they want to enjoy. There will be free bean soup, cornbread and hot chocolate.

Attendance: Free

A True Love Story of the American Beaver will last from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at 19627 Walnut St. in Trimble. Participants will be able to tour the multi-generational family home of beavers in the Trimble Community Forest. Waterproof boots, crampons or trekking poles are recommended.

Attendance: $10-60

Sunday, Feb. 12

Day Hike with Outdoor Pursuits will depart at 10 a.m. from Ping Center. Participants will take a hike through Athens’ forests in Hocking Hills. No prior hiking experience is needed. The trip includes guide staff and transportation.

Attendance: $10

21st Annual 48 Hour Shootout Film Competition screening will take place in Schoonover Center 145. Students will be presenting their films from their 48 Hour Shootout Competition, which will all be ranked by a panel of judges. The event starts at 6:15 p.m.

Attendance: Free

New Book Club welcomes all this Sunday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Held at The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens, Ohio, 184 Longview Rd., the club will start reading a new book for the month based on participants’ suggestions. 

Attendance: Free

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu