Here’s a list of predicted winners ahead of this year’s 95th Academy Awards

The 95th Academy Awards, otherwise known as the Oscars, will be broadcasted live on ABC this Sunday at 8 p.m. As arguably Hollywood’s biggest night and the last ceremony of awards season for those in film, many film critics have been releasing their opinions on who will win the show’s most acclaimed honors.

With this in mind, here’s a list of predicted winners ahead of this year’s 95th Academy Awards:

Best Picture: A24 - ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ 

After sweeping major award shows such as the Golden Globe Awards, the Screen Actors Guild Awards and the British Academy Film Awards in all categories, it’s pretty evident that A24’s “Everything Everywhere All at Once” has a high chance of taking home the Oscars’ most acclaimed prize, “Best Picture.” With a diverse and star-studded cast including Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis, the film has connected friends and families while proving that a science-fiction and action movie can be taken seriously in the likeness of Hollywood. 

Lead Actress: Cate Blanchett - ‘Tár’

Last year, Cate Blanchett starred in “Tár,” a film about a female composer who believes that all odds are against her as she prepares to record a symphony that will establish her as one of classical music’s best conductors. In the film, the actress showed tremendous grit and self-loathing, making her performance one that no film critic could ignore. According to the Los Angeles Times, this award is likely to go to Blanchett because it’s slated to be the only one her film has a good chance of winning, as many of the publication’s film critics see “Everything Everywhere All at Once” taking home a majority of the night’s awards.

Lead Actor: Colin Farrell - ‘The Banshees of Inisherin’

Colin Farrell had never been nominated for an Oscar until this year for his role as Pádriac in Martin McDonagh’s “The Banshees of Inisherin.” Playing a character who is devastated when his best friend no longer wants to be associated with him, Farrell shocked audiences everywhere with his emotional brevity and humor, which caused his performance to be one of the most noteworthy from 2022. Even though the actor is up against a stacked lineup for the award, including Austin Butler and Paul Mescal, it’s clear that Farrell’s portrayal of a man going through a midlife crisis was a role that simply anyone could relate to, especially for its emotional depth.

Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan - ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’

There’s no doubt that Ke Huy Quan hasn’t managed to win over the hearts of pretty much every film critic for his role as Waymond Wang in A24’s “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” and he’s also slated to take home an Oscar this year because of his character’s sensitive nature and relatability. According to the Los Angeles Times’ Tim Cogshell, “Quan should win because he is both good and deeply engaging in a role that requires a measure of energy that actors half his age — while wearing superhero costumes — seldom muster.” Quan’s likeability and knack for giving a good speech are also factors that may play into his potential win, as many have grown to love him for his dedication to acting and bettering the world.

Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett - ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’

Recently, Angela Bassett won a Golden Globe Award for her role as Ramonda of Wakanda, a rare occurrence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The actress is expected to win “Supporting Actress” at the Oscars this year, especially as many critics have seen this moment as long overdue for Bassett. Bassett has never won an Academy Award, and her role in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is all the evidence she needs to show that her fierce leadership and acting skills make her stand out amongst the rest of this year’s nominees.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu