Ohio outfielder Isaiah Peterson (5) watches as the ball flies over the center field wall and Toledo scores two runs off a home run on Friday, April 8, 2022, at Bob Wren Stadium.

Baseball: Ohio falls to Kentucky 9-2

Ohio fell flat against Kentucky on Wednesday. It left Lexington with a 9-2 loss to move to 2-9 on the season.

The Bobcats scored first on a single by freshman Billy Adams in the second inning. Adams knocked one down the right field line to score Mason Minzey and Alec Patino for a two-run lead. However, the Bobcats weren't ahead for long.

Immediately after Braxton Kelly came in for reliever Jayden Jerger, he allowed a single and a double that gave Kentucky four runs in the bottom of the second.

That trend continued as all of the Bobcats' pitchers were battered by the Wildcats. The Bobcats put nine different pitchers on the mound and only one — Zach Weber — threw more than an inning. There were only two Bobcats who had a hitless outing. Jerger and Dillon Masters both did not give up a hit, but both threw less than an inning.

Ohio's pitching wasn't all to blame, though. Adams and Will Sturek both had two hits to account for Ohio's four hits on the day. Ohio was outhit 11-4.

The Bobcats have a lot to figure out before Mid-American Conference play begins on Friday. They've found a lineup that works, but they still haven't hit their groove on the mound.

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu