Cara Finnegan stands on the stairs at Memorial Auditorium on Sunday, March 5, 2023.

OU student initiates first PAVE chapter in Ohio

An Ohio University student is starting a new student organization that will focus on empowering survivors of sexual violence.

Promoting Awareness | Victim Empowerment, or PAVE, is a national nonprofit that works to eliminate sexual violence, support survivors and educate people about sexual violence. The organization promotes programming about sexual violence awareness for high schools and universities across the country. 

According to its website, PAVE has trained more than 100,000 college students in sexual assault prevention and advocacy through its various chapters and affiliates since it was started in 2001.

Cara Finnegan, a sophomore studying sociology, decided to bring PAVE to OU after previously interning for the organization and realizing that there were no universities in Ohio with PAVE chapters. The OU PAVE chapter will be the first of its kind in Ohio. 

"Because of its prevalence everywhere, I think it's so important that we have a group that helps to de-stigmatize (sexual violence) and do good for the community," Finnegan said. 

Finnegan said she plans to have the chapter collaborate with other organizations on campus to discuss multiple issues associated with sexual violence. 

After the paperwork to begin the chapter is approved by the Campus Involvement Center, Finnegan and the three other executive board members plan to recruit members through tabling, flyers and word of mouth. 

The chapter will be open to welcoming members of various backgrounds and identities, Finnegan said.

"It's my understanding that LGBTQ+ individuals face higher rates of violence, specifically sexual violence," Finnegan said. "I think it's really important that it's an inclusive space for everyone no matter their gender identity, race, walk of life, anything, anyone is welcome to join."

Bradley McCullough, a sophomore studying healthcare administration, will be the treasurer for OU's PAVE chapter. 

"(Sexual violence) is something that has been all around me but I haven't been able to do anything about it happening around me," said McCullough. "I thought it would give me more resources to be able to help the people around me as well." 

The four members of the executive board plan to finalize the bylaws for final submission to the university within the next few weeks. 

Finnegan said she has multiple ideas for running the chapter and is looking into various funding options.  

"I think it is really important to have lots of different groups that support survivors in different ways, as a lot of (organizations) here at Ohio University do," Finnegan said. "I wanted to bring a new group that's backed by national nonprofits."  

Lisa Conolly is the Director of Community Engagement and Outreach for PAVE. She works to establish new PAVE chapters and spread the organization's message and values throughout the country.

"So far in 2023, I have helped establish two new PAVE chapters -- OU being the most recent! My job at PAVE challenges me to think in new ways, allows me to connect with survivors and advocates across the country, and has helped me grow personally and professionally more than I ever could have imagined," Conolly wrote in an email. 

McCullough said he is passionate about PAVE being a safe place for OU students to learn about sexual violence awareness and prevention. 

"As an intern with them, I've had the privilege of learning so much from the team that I work with and the other interns from all across the United States," Finnegan said. "To be the first chapter in Ohio is such an honor and I'm really excited to see what good we can do for the campus." 

@MaddieKennedy17

mk060919@ohio.edu