Here are the best sunless tanners

Oftentimes getting some sun offers a boost in confidence, but not everyone has the patience nor the time to tan outside for hours on end to achieve a little bit of color. In an effort to not upset dermatologists and in an effort to save time and patience, sunless tanners have hit the shelves and have become abundantly popular. But what are the best ones? How do you use them? Here’s everything you need to know about sunless tanners:

How To Use

Before anything, make sure you exfoliate your body. If you don’t, the self tan won’t last as long. Exfoliating your body to tan ensures the tan has healthy and moisturized skin to adhere to. Another good suggestion would be to shave and moisturize in dry areas to make sure the skin you’re tanning is bare and prepared.

It’s best to use a tanning mitt when self tanning to ensure an even coat and to avoid patchiness. It’s also a good idea to apply lotion on the uneven parts of the body like in between the fingers, elbows, knees and face to help the tan apply more smoothly. 

It’s also best to let the tan set in for however long the bottle recommends, but lots of people just sleep in it and wash it off the next morning.

What Are The Best Ones?

Loving Tan’s Deluxe Bronzing Mousse 

Arguably one of the most popular self tanning products, Loving Tan’s Deluxe Bronzing Mousse is seen all over the internet and especially on TikTok. This product is rated 4.4/5 stars on Ulta’s website and is definitely one of the better-known sunless tanners on the market.

Drunk Elephant’s D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops

If you want to look effortlessly tan but don’t want to take the time to shave, exfoliate and apply, consider buying Drunk Elephant’s Sunshine Drops. This can be used by itself or mixed in with your daily moisturizer for a more natural look. TikTok influencers Alix Earle and Ana Stowell both use and rave about these drops.

Tanologist’s Express Tan Water

Tanning waters are great because they take less time to apply compared to a mousse. To use tanning water, you would follow the same steps as if you were using a mousse. The only difference between tanning water is you won’t recognize a noticeable change until at least the next morning. Tanning waters are also a thinner consistency than a mousse, so it is more comfortable on the skin. 

Jergens’ Natural Glow Instant Sun Sunless Tanning Mousse

If you’re on a budget, the Jergens Natural Glow Instant Sun Sunless Tanning Mousse is a great alternative to the Loving Tan Deluxe Bronzing Mousse. They both apply similarly to the skin and leave the desired effect, a bronzed glow. This one is just a little less pricey for those on a budget.

@olivia_rohling

or325320@ohio.edu