Weekender Briefs: Theater, science and history join forces this weekend

Friday, March 24

The 2023 Athens Jazz Festival will bring a performance to Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Rd., from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The Hellbender Organ Trio will be performing for attendees as part of the lineup for the Athens Jazz Festival. The trio will feature Matt James on saxophone, Sean Parsons on piano and Roger Braun on drums.

Attendance: Free

Carrie, The Musicalpresented by Tantrum Theater will start at 8 p.m in the Elizabeth Evans Baker Theater, located inside Kantner Hall at 7 S. College St. An adaptation of Stephen King’s 1974 novel “Carrie,” the musical tells the story of a teenage girl with telekinetic powers. When she is embarrassed at her high school prom by her classmates, Carrie unleashes her powers, enacting chaos. Tickets can be bought in advance here.

Attendance: Tickets range from $10 to $25

You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brownpresented by Ohio University Lancaster Theater will run from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 1570 Granville Pike in Lancaster. The production is based on Charles M. Shultz’s comic strip, “Peanuts.” Shultz’s characters will take attendees on a journey through their everyday lives while celebrating the joy of friendship.

Attendance: Tickets range from $12 to $14

Saturday, March 25

Ohio University’s 13th Annual Meteorological Symposium will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Walter Hall 235. Hosted by the Ohio University Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, professionals from all sectors of meteorology will be discussing their careers and work for free to any students interested in its fields.

Attendance: Free

Memory Shadow Box Workshop by Ohio University Chillicothe will be from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Bennett Hall, located at 101 University Drive in Chillicothe. The workshop will allow attendees to create shadow boxes to honor a person or time and the memories associated with them. Each person will receive a shadow box and be guided through how to personalize theirs, with crafting tools provided. Attendees are encouraged to bring materials such as photographs, notes, letters and stickers.

Attendance: $40

Thought Leaders: A Women’s History Tour will be from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., starting at Ohio University’s Heritage Hall, 191 W. Union St. Attendees will take a walk with Dr. Katherine Jellison around uptown Athens to learn about the women who were crucial in the development of the town. The walk will be 2.5 miles and ticket information can be found here.

Attendance: Tickets range from $10 to $60

Sunday, March 26

Community Easter Egg Hunt hosted by the Chauncey-Dover Volunteer Fire Department will start at 1 p.m. Located at 21 Birge Drive, there will be five age groups ranging from 0 to 17-years-old and accommodations can be made to include all children. There will be prizes and goodie bags as well.

Attendance: Free

Roaring ‘20s Masquerade Prom hosted by Ohio University’s Housing and Residence Life will take place in the Walter Rotunda from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will be a photo booth, a DJ and hor d’oeuvres for students during the event. Students are encouraged to dress in Roaring ‘20s-inspired attire.

Attendance: Free

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu