Songs to help you slay the day away

Music evokes feelings. If you're having a bad day and want to exacerbate that feeling, throw on some Coldplay or Kodaline. If you're happy, throw on "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles. But what songs would you listen to when you want to feel empowered, conquer the day and be an absolute girlboss? Here are some of the best songs to add to your ultimate girlboss playlist that will make you feel like you can overcome anything the day throws at you:

"Bird Set Free" by Sia

This song was meant for a girlboss playlist. In the song, Sia sings about feeling broken and having a voice but not being able to sing. The chorus says, "And I don't care if I sing off key / I found myself in my melodies / I sing for love / I sing for me / I shout it out like a bird set free." These lyrics give off the idea that you do things for yourself, whether talented or not. This song will make you feel like you've found yourself and know who you are.

"Beautiful" by Carole King

A part of King's 1971 "Tapestry" album, "Beautiful" is all about feeling beautiful inside and out and embracing it. The song starts with, "You've got to get up every morning / with a smile on your face / And show the world all the love in your heart." This song is all about loving, embracing and girlbossing. 

"I AM WOMAN" by Emmy Meli

Meli's "I AM WOMAN' is a relatively newer song, having been released in 2021. The lyrics go, "I am woman / I am fearless / I am sexy, / I'm divine, I'm unbeatable, / I'm creative …" This is a great song to listen to when you need a quick reminder of how strong you are and how much you can conquer. 

"Unstoppable" by Sia

What a great name for a song on your girlboss playlist. You are unstoppable and this song won't let you forget it. Leading up to the chorus, Sia sings, "I put my armor on, I'll show you how strong I am… I'm unstoppable." This song is all about being strong and confident and not letting other people push you down. 

“Deceptacon” by Le Tigre

This 1999 punk-rock song is the definition of "head-banging" vibes. "Deceptacon" was played in the background of a Gap Kids commercial that put emphasis on female empowerment. In the chorus, the lead singer sings, "... everything you feel is alright, alright, alright, alright, alright …" Nothing says empowerment like owning your feelings. 

"Confident" by Demi Lovato

Arguably the most iconic "girl boss anthem," Lovato's 2015 song "Confident" will leave you feeling like you can conquer absolutely anything. The quick beat and flowing rhythm will make you feel empowered no doubt. 

"Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon

This 2008 hit would be the perfect addition to any empowering playlist. The fast tempo will make you feel like you're the main character in any situation. Clocking in at just over three minutes, Kings of Leon knew what they were doing when writing this oh-so-girlboss tune.

@olivia_rohling

or325320@ohio.edu