Cat’s Cradle: The art of the gratifying ending

The climax of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" sees Arthur and his knights preparing for one last battle. But before the battle, they are soon swarmed by cops and arrested. An absurdist subversion of expectation, the ending encapsulates the film's tone.

Endings are difficult to land, and even though the "Monty Python" crew made it look easy with their first film, endings require a certain skill. Most films approach endings from one angle, like an emotional moment, a final revelation or a time jump to bookend the story.

Some stories see a narrative culmination. These films often build up an emotional payoff, and examples such as "Monsters, Inc." and "Up" pull at heartstrings. This is exemplified in "The Simpsons" episode Lisa's Substitute. The ending sees Homer open his heart to his kids and lend a helping hand when they need it most. 

Other stories end in a denouement. In the film "Babette's Feast," cooking, religion and a winning lottery ticket come together in the final scene, giving the plot depth. This is also seen in mystery films like "The Long Goodbye," which uses the penultimate scene for the final reveal. 

Other films use a coda, like the final disappearance of Michael Myers in "Halloween" and the heroes riding into the sunset of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Sometimes the coda can be a flash forward like the finale of "Regular Show." The time jump is portrayed in montage, the future of the characters playing out in a music-backed view of the future. The final moment back in the small park brings the end full circle. 

Finally, there are the endings that see the characters develop. It demonstrates how they've changed, like James Bond fulfilling the role of the titular secret agent in "Casino Royale" or Alex Murphy rediscovering his humanity in "Robocop." 

Nowhere is this expressed better than in the finale of "Breakfast Club." In detention, each student has matured, their experiences reshaping their perception of life. 

Each piece of media represents its own interpretation of the ending. The attempts to bookend a narrative through specific devices often limit endings to a single element, though one film touches on each element with its finale: "The Truman Show."

"The Truman Show" follows Truman, the subject of a controlled sitcom, throughout his realization that his "world" isn't real, and it drives him to escape. The penultimate scene sees Truman cross the sea and discover the outer wall of the town. The scene cuts between Truman, the creator and the audience watching Truman, building tension as the sitcom's creator attempts to influence Truman to stay. 

The moment of hesitation of Truman is cut short with a turn and a smile as he says, "In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night!" The final time we see Truman, he takes a bow and walks out the door into the unknown. 

Like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," there is no true resolution, and the satisfaction comes from the interpretation instead. The ending itself employs each element of endings simultaneously and encourages deeper interpretation. The film provides an audience with the elements and asks them to think, "What happens next?"

The finale of "The Truman Show" is the perfect ending. It's a goodbye to the characters, to the audience and to the artists. There are no post-credits, no cut to Truman or follow-up film. Instead, the film steps back for one final bow before leaving us with the experience we've taken in, to ruminate on the story and create our own endings. 

Benjamin Ervin is a senior studying English literature and writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Benjamin know by emailing him be425014@ohio.edu.