Wright or Wrong: The importance of wellness

Taking care of yourself is something that is preached, but not always executed. 

These days, wellness and the clean girl aesthetic are promoted all over social media, but carrying it out isn’t as easy as it seems. Wellness should be incorporated into day-to-day life, but with moderation. 

Personally, I try to incorporate multiple things, like working out and journaling. 

I started journaling around three years ago and would 100% recommend for others to do the same. I felt like I had so many thoughts and no clue what to do with them, so getting them out of my head was a great option. I was able to process as I wrote and to see my thoughts on paper made me feel I had a better grasp on them. Of course sometimes it seemed like a dumpster fire on paper, but it was a great release.

My mental health at the time also left me with a poor memory, so I would often write about my entire days so I could look back.

Whether it’s writing a few sentences or multiple pages, getting anything down is extremely helpful. I also like to look back through from time to time and I’ll occasionally see a great memory I forgot. Journaling can help individuals organize their lives, set goals, clear heads and so much more.

Unlike what can be seen on TikTok though, there’s no need to feel forced to wake up at 5 a.m. to do so. While I’m obviously promoting this, in reality, I don’t keep up with it every day. I do my best to write every weeknight, but the most important thing is to not beat yourself up for missing something.

Working out has definitely been the game changer for me, and I encourage others to try it out. But as I just stated, the most important thing I tell others when starting their fitness journey is to only do it for enjoyment.

If you also have goals to stay fit or train for a marathon, that’s different and good, but turning the gym into a chore will only inhibit your time there. My grandpa has always told me to do everything in moderation, and it’s been proven beneficial. 

While I typically go five times a week, it’s because I want to. The gym has turned into a discipline thing for me, but that’s honestly also why I enjoy it so much. It showcases that if I know my workout will benefit my day, I’m going to go whether I like it or not. This seems a bit contradictory to what I said, but I have never once regretted a workout.

My mental and physical health have improved since incorporating these hobbies into my life, and while it took time to get adjusted to adding them to my routine, my body and mind thank me. Beginning going to the gym changed my life for the better and I am so glad I can see the effects. 

Some advice I would give would be to start with a little bit at a time, whether it’s waking up early, journaling or getting outside, and slowly get to where you want to be.

Kendall Wright is a sophomore studying Journalism News and Information at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Kendall? Email her at kw229520@ohio.edu