Keeping up with Kendall: What my sophomore year taught me

This has been my first semester with The Post, and though I’m sad to be saying goodbye until next year, I’m grateful for all I’ve experienced while working with this paper thus far. With this year coming to an end, I’ve also done a lot of reflecting not just on my time with The Post, but about everything the year has generally taught me. 

It is always amazing to me how quickly things change in a year, especially in the “adult world.” Though it has only been a year, I am a completely different person than I was my freshman year. I am often looking around at everyone I’ve met in my short time here at Ohio University and am taken aback by how much they’ve grown in just a year (or even a semester). With that being said, I would like to share a few things that sophomore year has taught me. At the very least, I hope that some of you will feel advised by my experiences, and others will be able to relate to them.

The first thing I learned was how great it is to be a part of a student organization. Everyone always advises you to join clubs in college when you are first entering freshman year, but I honestly had no interest. I respected those who were in one, but it seemed like a waste of time that only overachievers took part in. But as time went by, I was being told more and more that it was essential to join a club if you want to be successful, and I felt pushed to join one. 

As soon as sophomore year began, I joined Thread magazine and loved it so much that I eventually decided to also write for The Post. Though I do not agree with the sentiment that you absolutely must join a student organization if you want to be successful for a multitude of reasons, I am so grateful that I did. Besides the obvious benefits that they can have for your future career, you meet so many people and make so many friends that you likely never would have met otherwise. It is also so important to have something you’re passionate about that is not required work. Human beings need hobbies to stay motivated and happy to avoid burnout.

The second thing I’ve learned is that going out is never required of you. Last year, I always felt like going out was a necessity, even if I didn’t feel like it. However, I have come to find that there will be a million weekends, fests, date parties, etc. to go to. FOMO is very real, especially freshman year, but you will rarely have a good time when you force yourself to go out. You will often just find yourself wasting time, energy and money. Now I live by the simple rule of “If you want to go out, go out. If you want to stay in, stay in.” It’s as simple as that.

Finally, perhaps the most important thing I’ve learned this year is to accept failure in all facets of your life. I never really failed much of anything before college, and academics especially were especially easy for me. I held myself to that same standard in college and would feel like the worst person in the world when I failed at something. But this year I have learned how to accept failure and move on with life. 

College will be the first to show you that you are not invincible and it humbles us all. The faster you can accept it, move on and continue to try, the better. Learning to view yourself as someone who is worthy of love and acceptance (from yourself and others) no matter what is best, and you will be much happier that way. This is otherwise known as meeting yourself with an unconditional positive regard, an extremely useful mindset for all aspects of life. 

Of course, you should not ignore your failures, you will get nowhere with that. Instead, take note of where you went wrong so you can avoid it or build off of it in the future without hating yourself for being human. Realize that there is no such thing as perfection (life would be horrible if there were) and that like 95% of people your age have made the same mistakes you have (and worse), you are only human. This advice applies academically, socially, and professionally, as you will fail in all these ways eventually. Failure can be difficult to deal with, but it is necessary, become comfortable with it.

This year has taught me so many important lessons, and I reflect on it with a grateful fondness. I am excited to see where next year takes me and I am curious to see who I and those around me will become. I hope my experiences helped at least some of you, and I wish everyone an amazing exam week.

Kendall Bergeron is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kendall know by emailing her at kb016121@ohio.edu.