Grace Kessler, a Senior in Enviromental Conservation, poses with her fiancé, Luke , a Senior in Mechanical Engineering, by the Cherry Blossoms on April 4, 2023. Zoe Cranfill | Staff Photographer

Tying the knot after graduation

As seniors get ready to turn tassels and receive diplomas, there are difficult decisions to be made– from accepting a job offer to finding a place to live. However, some lovebirds have already made the most important decision of their lives: whom they plan to marry. These engaged college students are graduating with a cap, gown and a ring this spring.

According to the Wedding Report, there are expected to be 2.24 million weddings this year alone. However, the average age of marriage in America has been steadily increasing since 1998, making the median age about 29 years old. Students who choose to get married during or shortly after college have become counter-cultural. 

Kylie Duncan, a senior studying social work, met Cole Kinker in middle school. The couple dated on and off until high school, eventually parting ways. Eventually, they crossed paths again at Ohio University.  

"We saw each other on Welcome Weekend and started hanging out," said Duncan. "And then now, we're here, engaged." 

About two years ago, while on a date with Kinker, Duncan walked to Emeriti Park. There, she was met with friends and family. Each person held a rose, leading to a romantic marriage proposal from Kinker.

"I saw my friends and family and the videographer. I was like, 'okay, this is happening,'" said Duncan.

The couple's wedding date is set for April 22, just two weeks before Duncan's graduation date.

Between financial strain and balancing school work, Duncan explained that planning a wedding as a student can be challenging.

"There's a lot of boundaries that you have to put up with wedding planning," said Duncan. "Putting yourself first and making it all about you is the most important thing."

Kylie engagement
Kylie Duncan and Cole Kinker will be married this April.

Grace Kessler, a senior studying wildlife and conservation biology, met her fiancé Luke Vannest in sixth grade and began dating in high school. Now, they both attend Ohio University and have been together for five years. Kessler explained that being in a long-term relationship throughout school has provided a positive but atypical college experience.

"I definitely saw how my college experience was probably really different from other people who weren't in a long-term relationship at the start of college," said Kessler. "I think it has given me a lot of stability, and it's really guided my life a lot more than I thought it would."

Kessler and Vannest are both seniors, making major life decisions while considering their "other halves." They both decided they wanted to live close to their families.

"I think that decision can be a lot harder when you're both from different places," said Kessler

Vannest proposed to Kessler in February 2023.

"We're both really casual, laid-back people," said Kessler. "It was just over dinner he proposed, and he had written it in a card actually, because he told me he wouldn't be able to get the words out otherwise, so it was really sweet."

Although they do not have a date yet, the pair hopes to marry in June 2024.

PeopleWhoGetMarriedRightAfterGraduation_Cranfill

Jessalyn Cruz, a senior studying fashion design at Kent State, met Grant Rawlins in August 2020 through the H2O Church organization. In February 2021, the two finally made it official.

On July 23, 2022, Rawlins gathered friends at a local park, gave a speech, and bent down to 'tie his shoe.' Once down on one knee, he asked Cruz to marry him.

"It was just really simple and cute and intentional," said Cruz.

The couple plans to be married exactly one year after their engagement– July 23.

Cruz is from Toledo, while Rawlins is from Cincinnati. The two decided on a wedding venue in between both locations to accommodate traveling family and friends.

"The in-person appointments have been the most challenging," said Cruz. "Like these past couple of weeks, I've had to come back home for dress alterations and dessert testing."

Despite any stress she may face, Cruz explained the importance of enjoying every little moment of her engagement and not worrying about what others have to say.

"Everyone's going to insert their opinion– whether we're too young to get married, whether we have too long of an engagement," said Cruz. "At the end of the day, you just have to do what's best for you and your partner. And I think that's the most important thing."

Jessalyn engagement

Jessalyn Cruz and her fiancé, Grant Rawlins, will be getting married this July.

ab532721@ohio.edu