Tax season hits OU students

Every working student's favorite season has finally come. Not fest season, spring season or even graduating season, but tax season. Whether interning at a law firm or working part-time as a barista, students at Ohio University will likely be busy filing their taxes this spring. 

The final deadline to file for federal tax returns in 2023 is Tuesday, April 18. Taxes are due this Tuesday rather than the usual date, April 15, as the 15th fell on a Saturday this year. Monday marks Emancipation Day, a holiday observed in Washington D.C, another reason this deadline falls on Tuesday. Emancipation Day marks the signing of the District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act by former President Abraham Lincoln in 1862.

Several states have been granted an extension by the IRS on their taxes due to severe weather storms. These states include Alabama, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Mississippi, New York and Tennessee. Some extensions run as late as July 31 with no penalty. 

Ohio does not fall on this list of pardoned states, but if this article comes as a surprise, an option is still available for those who still need to file their taxes. After reading this article, immediately file for a tax extension with the IRS, as that deadline is also the 18th. If approved, your deadline will extend to Oct. 16. 

As various students at OU file their taxes with the hopes of a large return, many different emotions are going around this tax season. Morgan Ellis, a freshman studying journalism, has run into some trouble this year while waiting for her tax return. 

"I'm supposed to be getting almost a grand back in tax return, and I haven't gotten it yet," said Ellis. "(It) makes me mad because we filed for it over a month ago."

Other students have had no trouble receiving their tax returns, although it wasn't quite the number they hoped for. Winifred Steifel, a freshman studying media production, received a slim return this year. 

"(I only got) $10 since I work for tips," said Steifel. "Since I work for a small business now, my boss doesn't have to take as many taxes out and I get paid less because I have tips."

Some lucky students received the best outcome possible, an easy filing process and a good tax return. Olivia Rhonton, a freshman studying exercise physiology, had ideal results. 

"My tax return was the best it's been in years but that was because I worked every single day in June," said Olivia. "It was like $200. I received it in a week actually."

Whether it's students filing their own taxes or forcing their parents to do the work, students are likely working toward a common goal this tax season: a large return and zero issues along the way.                                                    

@basicllybella

ip107922@ohio.edu