The origins of Latin music

Throughout the last several years in music, it finally seems like international artists are getting the recognition they deserve, especially those within the sphere of Latin music. While that music’s rise in popularity has gained mass appeal, it’s still important to recognize its history as it continues to become more mainstream.

Currently, there are many different genres within Latin music, including seven major styles. Those styles consist of salsa, merengue, rancheras, cumbia, bossa nova, tango and reggaetón. According to History, those genres arose from the melding of cultures that took place during the Spanish and Portuguese colonization of the Americas. 

This combining of cultures allowed musicians to be exposed to new kinds of instrumentation such as the European guitar, African conga and tambora drums, as well as native gaita flutes and maracas, creating new sounds and variations.

First, salsa’s origins stem from Cuba, New York and Puerto Rico after Cuban and Puerto Rican musicians during the 1940s and 1950s developed an upbeat, energetic sound. The genre uses a distinct beat called a clave, which is a three-drum section of bongos, congas and timbales, creating a syncopated rhythm. Lyrically, artists tell stories, usually ending with a call-and-response section. Some of the most renowned singers have come from this genre such as Tito Puente, Celia Cruz and even Marc Anthony.

Meanwhile, merengue’s origins can be traced to the Dominican Republic, becoming popular during the Haitian occupation of Santo Domingo from 1822 to 1844. Originally, the genre used string instruments but then changed in sound when introduced to the button accordion, which was brought over by German traders at the end of the century. With this new technology, musicians invented the foundations of the genre, a repeating five-beat rhythmic pattern called a quintillo and festive lyricism. 

Rancheras rose out of Mexico following the end of the Mexican Revolution in 1917. The genre’s staple is using a mariachi ensemble, relying heavily on stringed instruments and using lyrics that are passionate, overall emitting a sense of love for country and honor. Without artists such as José Alfredo Jiménez, Felipe Valdés Leal and Vicente Fernández, the genre would not have become the most popular in Latin music during the 1950s.

Additionally, Columbia is responsible for producing cumbia, a genre that uses a signature double beat on maracas or drums, while flutes carry the melody. Typically, lyrics touch on subjects such as love, country and celebration of life. The genre began as a courtship dance during colonial times in Colombia's Caribbean region but continued to expand throughout the country. 

Bossa nova is from Brazil, acting as a smooth, jazz style of Latin music. It emerged as a softer version of the samba, which was a dance popular during Brazil’s annual Lenten carnival. Vocalist João Gilberto was one of the first to experiment with that genre, using his guitar in the late 1950s to create jazz sounds. After gaining popularity in the late 1950s, the genre was able to attract other jazz musicians such as Stan Getz and Sérgio Mendes.

Tango is a genre that most people recognize because of its namesake, but its origins are within The Río de la Plata region of Argentina and Uruguay. It first originated in the 1880s in the dance halls of Buenos Aires and Montevideo, more so as a style of dance. In the late 19th century, the bandoneón, a type of accordion, was introduced by German immigrants, and by the early 20th century, it was an essential part of tango. Singer Carlos Gardel helped launch the genre into the mainstream when he recorded his first tango song “Mi Noche Triste,” experimenting with philosophical themes within his music.

Lastly, reggaetón stems from Panama and Puerto Rico, with historical roots courtesy of Jamaican reggae and dancehall recordings. When Jamaican laborers began to be imported to build the Panama Canal in the early 20th century, Panamanian musicians started recording Spanish versions of reggae hits. In the 1980s, El General used this genre, combining it with elements of hip-hop and reggae.

Overall, Latin music has a rich history, integrating sounds from different cultures and regions that emphasize creativity, passion and celebration of life. With its constant use of experimentation, it’s no wonder why these styles of music have infiltrated the mainstream, as these musicians go above the status quo, changing the industry into one that celebrates all cultures and influences.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu