Brick City Deli food truck on Court Street in Athens, Ohio, on Sept. 27, 2023.

OU reveals newest food truck: Brick City Deli On-the-Go

A new dining option available for students has hit the bricks. Brick City Deli On The Go opened Sept. 5. This location can be found at the corner of President Street and South Court Street. The food truck is based on the Brick City Deli location in Jefferson Market.

Students like the truck and its convenient location in front of Lindley, Bentley and Copeland Halls. Hope McQuiston, a freshman studying acting, tried Brick City Deli for the first time recently.

“(Brick City Deli On The Go) is close to a class I have in Bentley … I’ll probably come here again because my roommates love it,” said McQuiston. 

For some, the location is not even the best part, it is the food itself. Drake McClain, a senior studying accounting, raves about the sandwiches.  

“I’ve been here several times ... (Brick City Deli On The Go) is high-quality food, I think it’s pretty good,” said McLain.

The menu features made-to-order New York-style deli options with Boar’s Head meats and cheeses. At the moment, the food truck menu has a limited number of sandwiches and wraps from the deli location.

Natalie Parsons, a student leader at Brick City Deli On The Go and a sophomore studying psychology, said they expand their menu to include daily specials soon. 

“Eventually once we really get down and get a groove with it, we're going to be doing weekly specials,” said Parsons. “Each day we'll have the regular sandwiches, but then we'll have one additional sandwich.”

Parsons felt like the opening had its struggles. But as staff learned more about the truck and process, things got smoother over time. 

“We were having a really hard time when we were first trying to open because we didn't have staffing and there were just a whole lot of technical issues ... We didn’t let people know that they could use meal swipes,” said Parsons. “It wasn't advertised until they got to the truck because we can take traditional meal swipes too as long as they're using it within their period.”

Menu options are available for purchase with Traditional and Flex plan meal swipes, Flex Points, Bobcat Cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover. Cash is not accepted at Brick City On The Go. For one meal swipe, students can get a sandwich and a side, without it, sandwiches start at $9.75. 

Students can get sandwiches through mobile order as well as ordering directly from the truck itself. There have been times when the truck has needed to turn off its mobile order feature due to its popularity and demand. 

“As soon as it hit 6:30 p.m. I started taking people's orders that were already in line,” said Parsons. “I took the first person's order and then 15 online orders came in. So, we took them and made them but after that, we turned off the computer so that nobody could put in online orders. Because we couldn't just let these people stand there.”

According to Parsons, mobile ordering being disabled is a rare occasion, only happening when the staff needs to prioritize the in-person line. People can be found lining up before the truck is open, too. 

“We have a break to go back and get more stuff, then come back up for our dinner time.” said Parsons. “That is usually when everybody's there waiting for us to get back and open, and that's when the line is down the sidewalk."

If students feel uneasy about mobile ordering, feel free to visit the truck in person to get a sandwich. Brick City Deli On The Go is open from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 6:30-9:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday. Brick City Deli On The Go is closed on the weekends. 

sm792221@ohio.edu