Lately with Layne: New White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention fosters hope and change

On Sept. 22, President Joe Biden introduced an unprecedented White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention. The overarching goal is to reduce gun violence and, with that, contribute to legislation aimed at doing the same. Whether it is ensuring implementation or expanding on laws themselves, having a dedicated office is a crucial step to fostering change.

The Biden-Harris Administration ran its campaign on main priorities such as offering economic relief, taking steps toward helping the planet and restoring America’s global status and it’s still working to address these issues. While we are in a borderline recession amid a climate crisis and aren’t currently adored by many other countries, the administration has kept its word about attempting to solve the gun violence crisis. 

Because gun violence was forced into the political arena and became a completely polarized issue, it is difficult for any reform to come out of Congress. President Biden is consistently calling on Congress to enact laws to enhance safety like required background checks, safer storage and banning assault weapons. It’s frustrating to know the elected officials we have entrusted to act in the best interest of their constituents can’t put their political beliefs aside for a matter of literal life or death, but it is worth noting that contesting the Second Amendment can be a highly controversial look for elected officials. 

The closest any administration has gotten to serious change in the past 30 years was the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act passed in 2022. Although such a law originally allotted sums of money allocated for school safety measures, mental health staff and enhanced background checks for those under 21 years old, having an office is more beneficial to consistently keep updated with current events and cater to the country’s specific needs.

In 2022, more than 48,000 lives were lost because a gun was readily available. This new office, created to control said guns, is a new internal source that can lobby Congress to make the right decisions when it comes to firearm legislation. 

Vice President Harris will oversee the office and Stefanie Feldman will serve as director. Feldman was on the team making legislation after the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting during Obama’s presidency. 

Greg Jackson, a gun violence survivor, has experience leading the Community Justice Action Fund, which promotes gun violence prevention among POC communities. Rob Wilcox has done extensive advocacy work in honor of his cousin who was shot at 19 years old. Wilcox and Jackson will hold executive positions in the office. It is finally time for those who have been personally touched by gun violence to be able to curate serious change for the country. 

Having leaders involved in the office whose lives have been transformed by gun violence rather than leaders who have political motivation to promote gun violence prevention is necessary for creating hope and making change. 

If nothing else, this proves President Biden is aware of the severity of gun violence and is putting forth efforts to stop it. I hate to be part of a culture that praises the bare minimum of politicians, but this truly is a hopeful start to tackling a deeply ingrained issue in our nation.

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12