TV Review: ‘Sex Education’ ends in disappointment

After seven rocky episodes, the final season of “Sex Education” concludes the series with its eighth and final episode. Unfortunately for the hit comedy-drama series from Netflix, the episode brings a lackluster, rushed, dull and unceremonious end to the stories of Moordale’s former students.

At the heart of the episode is Cal, who has gone missing at the start of the episode. Their entire arc this season has been centered on their struggles with gender dysphoria. Episode Eight finally sees the storyline culminate in a period of concern from Cavendish’s students, despite a majority of them seeming to brush off Cal’s concerns throughout the season.

The Cal-centric plot in the season’s finale takes up a majority of the episode, as it primarily becomes a centralizing place for the Cavendish students. Cal’s funding of their gender-affirming surgery also becomes the premise of the school’s fundraiser, where the characters mingle near the end of the episode.

The sudden emphasis given on Cal in this episode feels inauthentic and unearned. Throughout the season, the writers have seemingly given up on allowing Cal to have adequate screen time compared to their peers. There was no time to actively get involved with Cal’s arc this season because the influx of Cavendish’s new, mediocre students inflated the season’s roster of characters.

On the flip side, Cal’s arc leads to one of the series' greatest moments involving Cal, Jackson and Eric. The three all unite at a cliff’s edge before Eric’s words of wisdom and Jackson’s comfort lead the three of them to walk back to Cavendish, basking in the gorgeous hues of the sunlight.

It is a pivotal moment for Jackson, whose true feelings for Cal present themselves through his appearance. Likewise, the event sparked the conclusion of Eric’s battle with his religious identity once he discovers he has a passion for becoming a reverend. The moment feels cathartic for Eric and the viewers, who’ve followed his journey for four seasons.

As a result of the episode’s focus and the overall quality of the season, the conclusion to the remaining storylines feels rushed. Viv’s confrontation and ending of her connection with Beau comes in the middle of the episode. It is quick and unceremonious, providing no emotional payoff for the prior episodes’ “buildups.”

Maeve’s story also feels too saccharine as her manuscript, formerly trashed by Mr. Molloy, catches the eye of a publisher who asks to read more. While Maeve is finally able to tell her rude teacher how she feels, the moment happens too late after the other developments of the season.

Of the rushed subplots, Jackson’s feels the more egregious. The episode serves as a final revelation that his father, a married man, had an affair with Roz (Jackson’s mother) to have him. The reveal ultimately serves no purpose to the show. I am unsure where the creators wanted to take Jackson’s character this season, but it resulted in one of the season’s worst utilization of a former character apart from Otis.

Speaking of Otis, it seems like the season finale attempted to remedy all his flaws and qualms to end with him on a high note. However, the only high notes from this finale included Aimee and Isaac officially becoming a couple, Adam coming to terms with his sexuality (and securing a date) and Joanna finally talking about her childhood abuse and getting closer to her sister.

Otis’ arc this season has been polarizing, and this finale sees him making amends with everyone he has wronged. From O and Ruby to his mom and Eric, Otis mainly spends the finale making things right and wallowing over “losing” Maeve. The conflicting nature of his personality this season makes Otis’ acts seem unmotivated and makes him hard to sympathize with. Still, it seems like the show ended how it should’ve with Otis accepting defeat of the election and staying single.

Much of Season Four of “Sex Education” failed to capture the eccentric and fun-loving essence of previous seasons. Even with some emotionally gripping moments and episodes, the finale saw a disappointing end to the beloved Netflix series.

Episode 8 rating: 2.5/5

Season Four rating: 3/5

tb222023@ohio.edu