Katie’s Crayonbox: Dr. Seuss core is the next big fashion trend

You can see it as a shirt. You can see it as a skirt. You can find it at Lulu. You can find it at BooHoo. Yes, a whimsical, feathery, vibrant fashion trend is emerging, and you heard it here first. “Dr. Seuss core” is the next big trend in fashion.

Recently, y2k has been everywhere. People cruised quickly through millennium trends like low rise jeans, neon tracksuits and even dresses over jeans. Trends cycle, and chronologically, next in the cycle is the 2010s. We’re already seeing this. Every cool girl on TikTok owns some thrifted ballet flats, and long-time Generation Z trendsetter Emma Chamberlain embraced 2013 striped fingerless gloves just last month in an Instagram post. If 2012 is back, be prepared for neon, which is quintessential to achieving the Dr. Seuss vibe. 

“Barbie” (2023) helped bring bright colors, especially pink, into mainstream fashion. The combination of neons and vibrant hues – especially in funky patterns – just screams Dr. Seuss. Look at Alix Earle’s sparkly, feathery, neon pink New Year’s Eve outfit. It is straight out of “Hop on Pop.”  

Fur is in, especially with the new “Mob Wife Aesthetic” gaining popularity on TikTok, but as spring and summer enter I think we will see a shift back toward the feathers that have been popular for the past season and a half. From “Horton Hears a Who” to “Cooking with the Birthday Bird,” there are frequently feathered characters. Bright, feathered looks emanate Dr. Seuss’ style and help round out the look.  

Bows and other whimsical accessories are also popular at the moment, and this lends itself even more to the emergence of “Dr. Seuss core.” Just as maximalist styles have reemerged in interior design, people are getting tired of inexpressive clothing. A 2020 BBC article described the phenomenon of people donning extravagant clothes during the pandemic to do mundane chores as a way of feeling better. Wearing fun clothes makes us happy, and the whimsy of this trend feels like playing dress up as a kid. 

In many ways, Dr. Seuss core is already here – look at popular shops. Urban Outfitters is stocked with Dr. Suess fits with this lacy Grinch top and bright pink velvet gloves. Even this simple tee just feels Seuss-esque. This sweater dress from Target went viral a few months ago for resembling a thneed, a clothing item made from Truffula trees in “The Lorax.” 

At Ohio University, fest season will likely prove especially prudent for this new trend. Fests last year were already overwhelmed with this orange one-piece bodysuit from Amazon, which many students reused for various Lorax costumes this past Halloween. Dr. Seuss-inspired looks are already in many people’s closets, just waiting for the trend cycle to spin these statement pieces into rotation. 

If you are still not convinced, look to the runway. As Miranda Priestly laid out in her “The Devil Wears Prada” analysis of cerulean blue, runway outfits become streetwear quickly. Trends from last fall’s Milan, New York, Paris and London fashion weeks predict what will be in style for spring and summer of 2024. According to InStyle, vibrant fringe was prominent, and Vogue found repeated feathers and large rose decals as incoming must-wears. All of these runway styles scream “Dr. Seuss.” 

Dr. Seuss core is the next big thing in fashion. One girl, Rachel Leah, went viral as the “Thneed Girl,” and built her platform off determining clothes as Seuss-adjacent. So, keep an eye out and say yes to that bright pink feathered coat you find in the thrift store. I meant what I said and I said what I meant — Dr. Seuss core is coming, one-hundred percent. 

Katie Millard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Katie by tweeting her at @katie_millard11.

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief