Commuter students navigate winter weather

Snow covers the ground, ice lines the roadways and a persistent chill lingers in the air; it is winter in Athens. With the winter season comes a unique set of challenges for commuter students at Ohio University forcing them to choose: miss class, or embark on a dangerous, frosty commute?

According to the Ohio University website, students who commute must live within a 50-mile radius of campus. Housing and Residence Life approves approximately 450 commuter contracts every year

On Jan. 19, Brandon Petrie, a junior studying engineering technology and management, began his daily 40 minute commute to Ohio University. However, he quickly realized how dangerous traveling would be in the snowy weather. 

“I started my commute there,” Petrie said. “I had to turn around because my car was just going off the road.”

As a commuter student, Petrie is not alone in his struggle to get to campus amidst icy roadways, snow storms and frigid temperatures. 

During winter months, Molly Pennington, a senior studying communication sciences and disorders, starts her morning by removing snow and ice from her vehicle. 

“I have to get ready for classes like 30-45 minutes before the class time even starts,” Pennington said.

Her biggest struggle is securing a parking spot once on campus. A majority of spots near academic buildings are taken by the time she arrives. 

“It's really, really hard to find good parking spots right now, just because of the weather,” Pennington said. 

For Pennington and other commuters, after snowfall, parking lots on campus become difficult to navigate. Parking space lines are completely hidden, resulting in a disorganized arrangement of vehicles. 

“I've definitely noticed that they haven't cleared the parking lots as well as they should have with the snow that we've recently had,” said Madachi Roberts, a freshman studying wildlife biology and conservation. 

On the first day of spring classes, Pennington parked near Peden stadium, only to find the lot was in complete disarray.

“People were just kind of parked wherever for the most part because the lines weren't visible and that kind of created a little bit of a hazardous parking situation,” Pennington said.

Another challenge for commuters parking on campus is driving within the confines of the university. Roberts said it can be difficult to access campus parking lots if university roads are not cleared. 

“I feel as though maybe they don't clear the roads that might need to be cleared to access parking lots,” Roberts said. “That's where the hardships come in.”

Petrie, Pennington and Roberts have learned an array of lessons as a result of their travels.

For example, Pennington said the best place to park is in the sun.

“When (a car) sits there in the shade, it gets all icy and cold and it's so much better if you have a nice sun-warmed car,” Pennington said.

Roberts emails her professors in advance to let them know she may have a difficult time arriving on campus. She also makes sure to keep emergency supplies in her car.

“I have extra supplies just in case I need to stay in my car for a little bit longer than anticipated,” Roberts said.

As the winter carries on, these commuters all share an important sentiment: No class is more important than safety. 

“If it does not feel safe to travel, don't,” Pennington said. “The class will always be there, you won't. So don't travel if your gut says it’s not safe.”

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee