Here are Britney Spears' best unreleased songs

Dubbed the “Princess of Pop,” Britney Spears has captivated the entire world throughout her 30-year career. She has sold over 150 million records worldwide and won countless awards for her fruitful career.

Of course, we all know some of her classic hits like “Toxic,” “Oops!…I Did It Again” and “Gimme More.” Perhaps you know some of her underrated released bops like “Kill the Lights,” “Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know” and “What U See (Is What U Get).” However, there is a treasure trove of unreleased music you’ve probably never heard before.

Through numerous YouTube playlists and Spears’ Fandom Wiki, fans can discover over a hundred songs that are not officially released. While most have been kept from the general public, many are available online. From the leaked list, here are seven of the best unreleased Britney Spears songs:

911

Recorded for her 2007 record, “Blackout,” the heavy synth track leaked through its demo CD. It is a highly sexual track with two different versions of the track leaking --- one explicit and the other censored. Both are extremely alluring, with Spears’ breathy vocals during the verses and chorus.

This track fits well with the rest of the record, but the verses needed more production work. However, the cell phone sound effects and other adlibs throughout the song make it seem more professional and less like a demo. If this song had been polished a bit more, it would have been one of Spears’ bigger hits.

Hooked On (Sugarfall)

Next is another song that was recorded for “Blackout.” “Hooked On” (unofficially known as “Sugarfall”) was written by Pharrell Williams. It is a fairly simple song with a steady, dry beat and whirring synths in the background of Spears’ vocals.

The chorus is slightly more finished with an additional buzzing synthesizer and layered harmonies with Spears’ and Williams’ vocals. The standout from this song is Williams’ vocals during the chorus as they compliment Spears’ high, breathy tone. Although it’s a simpler song, it is one of those tracks you can groove and sing along with.

Rockstar” 

“Rockstar” is another “Blackout” track similar to the first two songs. Another Pharrell Williams track, this song carries a contagious swagger. The backing beat drives the catchy verses and chorus sung by Spears, who has a deeper tone throughout the track. It features a twangy electric guitar during the final chorus which drives home the song’s premise. Overall, it is a hidden gem of a track that would have been a fantastic contribution to the “Blackout” album.

Strip

Recorded for her 2003 hit record, “In The Zone,” “Strip” was stripped from the final track listing as its title was too similar to Christina Aguilera’s 2002 album, “Stripped.” It is unfortunate, as the song is one of the stronger tracks on this list. 

With its fuzzy, electric beat and dreamy piano synths, the track creates a swaying vibe that the listener can get down to. Spears’ vocals are slightly autotuned during the chorus, but the rest of her performance is in her classic “baby voice.” However, we hear more of her lower register in the verses which levels out the rest of the song.

Look Who’s Talking Now

This bass-heavy track is another song recorded for “In The Zone.” It’s one of the tracks on this list that is most clearly a demo with its lack of mixing and sonic depth. However, with Spears’ vocals and poppy synths, it makes for a listenable tune. If polished more and given the proper treatment, it would’ve made an excellent single, as it holds much potential with its catchy chorus and groovy bass line.

Guilty

In a similar vein as “Look Who’s Talking Now,” this demo was recorded for “In The Zone,” but it was never fully finished. The song relies heavily on the crunchy synths littered throughout the record, especially on “Toxic.” It also samples the opening guitar riff from Prince’s “Kiss” which is laid down rather masterfully during its verses and chorus. There’s also a synth break halfway through the track that sounds out of this world with its wobbly yet crunchy electrical flare. Overall, if the song were given more TLC, it would’ve made an exceptional addition to the record.

She’ll Never Be Me

Finally, the last unreleased song on this list was recorded for her 2001 album, “Britney.” The vibes are strikingly similar to the lead single from this record, “I’m a Slave 4 U,” with its poppy, fuzzy synths and sickening early 2000s vibe. Spears’ main vocals layered with angelic harmonies make it all the more intriguing as it sounds like a full-fleshed single. It was intended as the b-side for “Overprotected,” the second single on this record but was replaced with the leading single. Britney fans truly missed out on an amazing track, but we earned an equally astonishing single in the end.

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu